Just the facts...

SPG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Anybody have a real idea of what's coming?
NOT OPINIONS, NOT GUESSES, NOT WISHES, but real information? If no real info, then what are the real clues and real hints pointing to?
Spit 'em out and then check back on the 7th and we'll see if Apple is right about being "way beyond the rumor sites"

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
what I've been told

I'm pretty positive we're gonna see a new iMac...

I've also been told that iPhoto is very real...

so we should see these according to my source...

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
LCD screens

We also should see new lcds cheaper with no 15" only 17", 19", and the 22". This pretty likely. And last some powermac update wether its the apollo g4 up to 1.5 ghz or the g5 up to ?1.6 ghz to start?
Another thing which has be disputed is what chip the new imac will have i beleave that apple wants to keep getting chips from im and since all they make are g3s it will probably be the "sahara" upto 1ghz last time we heard.

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Here's an excerpt from MacOSrumors.com:

The Big One: Macworld SF 2002 Preview 1 - 8:22 PM 1/2 - Rumor/Speculation

Although we've been configured for silent running most of the past month, we've still been listening to the grapevine and a whole lot has turned up in the process. From among the most interesting points, we first present a quick bullet list summary of various predictions, rumors, speculation, and the like:

* Flat Panel iMac: Expect to see it at the show if insider reports are to be believed, but don't expect the much-hyped device Apple is hinting at to be one and the same -- we've been told through many different avenues that the new device may be tied into the new iMac, but they are two different things.
* New Digital Lifestyle device(s): It stands to reason that if the new Apple device is not an iMac, it is unlikely to be any other Mac, and therefore would fall under the heading of Apple's Digital Lifestyle iniative. Anything more is speculation, but we have numerous indications that the device will involve video-specific technology and, like the iPod, will include capabilities beyond that of merely a function-specific device. Wireless technology has also been widely mentioned.
* Mac OS X 10.2 10.2 is still months away from release, but it is likely that we will see some sort of preview of its new features, in particular the powerful AppleScript Studio development environment, new QuickTime and DVD/CD media functionality as well as the first hints at Apple's cross-platform iniatives.
* Gaming: One thing that we have heard loud and clear is that Apple is hard at work on improving the Mac OS X platform for game players. Although there is no firm evidence either way, a whole lot of quiet indications point to Apple either hyping or actually releasing new game hardware and/or software that will be major news. Almost certainly not the BIG news, but pretty significant nonetheless.
* Apple buying Avid? Along with the numerous hints that the big news at MWSF will be related to wireless video, we've heard from multiple sources that Apple may have already closed the deal on the acquisition of at least one major video hardware developer. Avid has widely been frequently mentioned as the strongest possibility, but since Avid sources are mum on the subject, confirmation is lacking.
* Cinema Display price drop: Widely rumored, we have tended to be skeptical of this one, as large-size flat panel prices have not dropped nearly as precipitously as smaller units. However, the sheer volume of speculation on this one hints that there may be some truth behind it....

On top of these rumors, there is also the following....

Subject: MacDirectory Ad
I received my MWSF 2002 badge today, and included in the envelope was a brochure ad from MacDirectory magazine. ÊIn addition to photos of glamorous people carrying Apple products, and some gratuitous cleavage, the front of the ad shows a picture of an LCD panel with an Apple logo in the graphite plastics and a stylus pen resting on top. ÊItÕs not an image of any released Appe product. ÊUsing the pen for scale, the screen seems to be considerably smaller than 12.1-inches, and adjacent to the screen is what looks like a hinged panel with a covered compartment, similar to the door that covers the controls on the front of a TV or monitor.
Whether this is a mock-up/artistÕs rendering or an image of a pre-release product, I donÕt know, but either way, I canÕt believe IÕm looking at it on the cover of this brochure. ÊIf you havenÕt seen one yet, see if you can get hold of one. ÊI have no means of sending the image.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
avid?

why would apple buy avid? does anyone know? there is a lot of people dumping it in favour of FCP. it's only a matter of time before FCP is real time in all areas.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2001
Not as many studios are dumping Avid as you might think. FCP is a great platform, but not real time enough for some of the very heavy volume edit houses.
$.02=Apple doesn't buy Avid. Why? Not enough long term technology advantage, even though they could leverage the rest of the video editing world solely onto Apple top to bottom (Avid already runs on Macs).

The real interesting thing is to see what Apple has done with their aquisition of Spruce this past summer.

PUSH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
I quite agree SPG

Buying Avid on top of the DVD hardware company Spruce? Well, DVD PRO is due for a leg up to OS X, so I wonder if the rumor about them putting DVD hardware into the PowerMacs is true? What are these chaps up to? Hmm... I wait with baited breath. Maybe a harddrive disc to DVD recorder. It was, after all, one of their as yet un-covered hub sections when they launched the iPod.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2001
DVD studio Pro isn't quite up to being truly "pro" in it's current form and the encoding is one of it's weak points. If they incorporate a Spruce developed encode card into the high end system, it would bring it closer to being a real competitor for Sonic as FCP is becoming for Avid. On the other hand if they can develop a cheaper hardware encoder card for the highest level imac, it could then make a good DVD with iDVD and still be able to use a G3 processor.