Just the smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ewo1992, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

My plan before I got my iPad was to buy the smart cover, a clear back shell that works with the smart cover and a sleeve pouch for carrying in my backpack. Now that I have my iPad I really like the feel of it with just the smart cover. And the sleeve. How easy does the back of the iPad s ratch. I know my iPod 2nd generation is covered with scratches in the back. What should I do. Keep just the smart cover and the sleeve or stick with the original plan and get the clear back case to protect against scratches and very small falls or bumps?

2. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I'm also just using the Smart Cover. I've ordered a leather sleeve to carry around, but otherwise I'll be using only the Smart Cover.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think you should stick to your plan. (If you don't mind scratches on the back of your iPad that is...)

4. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

Yeah I think I will, but I just love the feel of it "naked"

5. azure247 macrumors 6502

The back should never get scratched. When you lay the ipad on a surface, simply flip the smart cover to cover the back. Just dont drop it?

6. rexboe macrumors regular

rexboe

7. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Instead of a shell what about a film? Protects against scratches but not drops.

8. ihatephish macrumors regular

I just use the smart cover along with a sleeve from sfbags.com. Works absolutely perfect for my needs!

9. Clix Pix, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    My iPad 2 survived this past year with just the Smart Cover on the front, and one reason is because at home I always prop my iPad on a Gibson three-wire stand so that it's not set down on a hard surface which can scratch the back. My iPad 2 looks great. So now, a year later, she is joined by her new sister, who again will spend her life being propped on the wire stand at home and being propped on something else while out-and-about, as well as having the Smart Cover over the screen. I never just set my iPad down flat on a surface unprotected, and really, that can make a difference.

Oh, and yes, when leaving the house, the iPad has the Smart Cover on her front and is slipped into the SF Bags/Waterfield Design Muzetto bag. Sometimes I'll use a large purse or a different bag, and while most of the time I've got the Smart Cover on her, maybe I'll use the RadTech suede sleeve instead for protection. When I'm tucking the iPad into my camera bag with a lot of camera gear, I usually use the InCase sleeve that has a protective fuzzy interior.

From Amazon, the Gibson three-wire stand:

[​IMG]

At home, the iPad either goes totally naked on the Gibson stand or just has the Smart Cover on.....

The Gibson stand does fold up quite nicely to tuck into one's bag, too, when venturing out-and-about with the iPad.

When somewhere with my iPad I never set the device down flat on a surface, nor do I set my Smart Cover down on that surface, either: I look for a napkin or something else to protect my device and its Smart Cover from whatever crud might be on the table or other surface.....

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am trying the targus cover this time around. i like it so far. it isn't as good looking as some, but is about as light-weight as you are going to get with a smart-cover + hard shell back combination, and it seems to be high quality. personally, there is no way i am going to carry around my ipad without some protection. i like it well-enough naked, but it isn't worth it for the mental energy i have to waste worrying about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Genera...arcoal/dp/B0076POB8O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

11. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't you risk picking up dust and dirt in the microfiber by doing that and possibly scratching the glass???

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I could never go naked. Too risky. I'm a reseller every year. Just isn't wise.

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

only use the smart cover

only used it with my ipad2 and zero scratches in one year front and back..

when i lay it down i face the smart cover down and if i want to lay it down with the screen up to use just flip the smart cover around

14. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Skins are easy to apply, don't add a bunch of weight and protect from scratches. Drops are another thing entirely :D

15. richlee111 macrumors regular

This...

Spigen SGP Skin Guard. There are a few other companies that make it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my iPad2 I had the carbon back skin w/ a dark gray Smart Cover and a Boa Skin XS Sleeve. I also threw in a Belkin Smart Cover when I took it on the road. You can never have enough protection:)

16. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I would be WAY more worried about the back getting dented than getting scratched. Just my two cents though...

17. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'd recommend the op get a clear skin on the back as well.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Skin the back.

Bestskinsever.com

A year later on my ipad2 and it looked like new. Also protected the side edge from the smart cover attachment.

19. SYale macrumors member

I am interested in getting a navy blue leather one for my white iPad along with the Incipio Smart Feather. One question that I could never find a clear answer to is the "oxidation/scratches/black marks" that this cover leaves on the side where the magnets attach. Is it fairly common? Or is it just case by case.

20. RMSko macrumors 6502

I have the ZAGG maximum protection. It comes with protection for the back and the screen, although I only use if for the back. It also protects the corners, which is great. Also, it comes with a lifetime guarantee that allows you to replace the protector for any reason so if you can also get a replacement iPad, you get a new protector (I've done it a few times). It takes some effort to put on, but not that difficult as long as you follow the instructions. I don't know if it will protect against drops, but it will protect against scratches.

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I like the Belkin stuff for my iPhone and iPad. Keeps it thin and light but still protects the back. Still haven't had a Belkin product let me down.

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

These are... beautiful...! :eek:

23. falcora macrumors 6502

I got a clear skin for the back, and I use a smart cover on the front. I really didn't want to get a case, so I just bought AppleCare+

24. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

I already had a sleeve ordered from them!

----------

For some reason I don't really want a film

25. soy macrumors member

soy

I really don't get the obsession with covering the back to keep it scratch free. What is the pointy in there not being any scratches if you cover it up, and therefore can't even see how amazingly scratch-free it is?

If anything, leave it uncovered, and if it does get scratched and you can't stand to look at it anymore, then cover it up.