Just thought about something.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Jun 11, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I just thought about something. You guys remember that Steve said face time wouldn't work on 3G until 2011? Doesn't it seem odd that AT&T is trying to get everyone whose eligible before 2011 to upgrade into the new 325 ETF contract? Well it makes sense if AT&T told apple their network can't handle face time over 3G and apple decided to offer the iPhone on more than one network in 2011 to relieve the stress on AT&T network for face time to work.

I hate rumors of the iPhone going to another network but this makes sense. AT&T obviously figured it would try to get as many people who could switch in Jan 2011 in a higher ETF contract. Those that can't upgrade to iphone 4 in 2010 are either people who just got the 3GS a few months ago or secondarily family lines, both of which would have too much left in contract or be too tied to AT&T to switch to another carrier when that become available.

I think this explains the higher ETFs and the 6 month move up on upgrades along with 6 month wait for face time. Obviously this wouldn't effect people in other counties.

2. vant macrumors 65816

The higher ETF was meant to stop people from buying an iPhone and then canceling their contract to get one at a discounted rate. (199+175+1 month of service).

3. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Yup. My thoughts similar. Now there are T-Mobile rumors going on, which would make more sense than Verizon, since T-Mobile uses GSM also. So not much, if anything, would have to be done in terms of different chips in the iPhone.

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

This has been discussed a lot.

I do not think that is the case necessarily. I think that a lot of the carriers for the iPhone are not sure if they can handle it. Plus, they may want to charge you for it and that can cause many problems when fitting it into plains. Do they add it as a feature or to the plan since it is mobile-to-mobile?

5. fuzion macrumors 6502

At this point I think all carriers will be prohibiting facetime over their cell network; the keynote said wifi only in 2010, it did not say 3g in 2011. Who knows; but AT&T's 6 month upgrade move does lean towards them trying to holding onto as many users as possible before it goes multi carrier.

6. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well what elese would face time be over? Lol. I am not one that really wanted or cared about other carriers to get the iPhone, but these things add up. AT&T has said they are not worried about losing too many customers. Steve has said he can see the benefit multiple carriers.

I would think apple would have settled these "agreements" with carriers for face time over 3G before the launch of iPhone 4. I think in this case AT&T simple said they can't do it over 3G due to all the traffic since they are the only iPhone carrier.

It is a smart move by AT&T to try and get as many customer covered by a high etf as possible when apple opens the iPhone up.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

AT&T only increased their ETF after verizon did because they could ( more expensive phones).

T-mobile is infinitely more plausible than verizon because tmo In Germany is rocking the iPhone right now.

Even if verizon foams at the mouth at crazy revenue let's not forget that vz was already offered the iPhone. What happens when you put Steve jobs in the same room as verizon who is notorious for crippling phones and wants customers to consume all media through their own portals?
    You get a gsm based iPhone lol.

8. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have no idea who in the us would get the iPhone but t-mobile does make sense. I will not or ever switch to verizon.