Just to be sure: Absolutely no reason to not delete "thumbs.db" files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Libertine Lush, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

This seems perfectly safe and the file seems perfectly useless in OS X, but I'd just like to make sure: Is there any reason at all to not delete the "Thumbs.db" files scattered across my HDD, which as far as I'm aware, are entirely of Windows origin?

Spotlight says I have 530 of them. That's 530 I'm giddy to rid of.

Thanks.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. CraigGB macrumors regular

its fine to delete them :), they are of windows origin and are created in a folder to speed up thumbnails (of pictures and movies etc) being displayed basically , if you ever copy those files back into windows then they will be recreated. OS X has no need for them and won't use them at all

4. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Karl K macrumors newbie

I'm seriously losing it

First, I'm barely a geek. I have what I keep getting told are Thumbs.db files in folders which I've dumped in the trash. The folders won't delete, because the db files are supposedly locked. Spotlight won't recognize them. Houdini shows them, but when I try to delete, I get 'Finder got an error: Handler can't handle objects of this class. (-10010).' One of the folders I can move in and out of the trash, the other continuously replicates itself and now I have three sets of it and its subfolders. Help! I'm on 10.4.11.