Just to Confirm - Unlocking iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tannerlang01356, May 31, 2012.

1. tannerlang01356 macrumors newbie

I just bought two very gently used iPhones (3GS). The first one was manufactured the second week of 2012. I jailbroke it, which was fine but then it sent me back to the initial setup screen which I couldn't get past without an AT&T SIM card. I decided to continue unlocking it so that I could use a T-Mobile SIM card, which was a foolish idea. At the time, I didn't know the serial number since I couldn't get into the phone. Now I know it is also printed on the SIM tray for this reason. Because I was stupid and tried to put the iPad baseband on a Toshiba clip, I bricked it. Next, I went out and got an iPhone 3GS that was manufactured in 2009 so this wouldn't happen again. But now I'm not sure I want to try again because I don't want to break it again. Besides that, I have read that I will screw up the GPS capabilities (permanently?) and many people have lagging issues after flashing the iPad baseband. Is this all correct or am I missing something? Should I just wait for an unlock procedure that doesn't require flashing the iPad BB or is that never going to happen so I should just bite the bullet? Or should I stop being obsessed with having an iPhone altogether and go get *gasp* a Windows phone? *Sigh*...

2. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I have yet to have an iPhone brick on me, the worst ever happened was it just not work and a simple booting into dfu and restore always fix the problem...

As for unlocking, if you have searched the forum, it has a very long thread that talks about AT&T will unlock any of their iPhone that is not in contract, and all you need to do is have a friend who has AT&T to call or chat to unlock for you...

My other question is what does iPhone has to do with iPad and then toshiba clip? It got a bit confusing when reading your post.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, if you flashed the iPad baseband to the 2012 phone, you ruined the chip.
    As far as using the iPad baseband with iOS5 firmware, some report service dropouts and location service issues and it will kill the GPS.

With all the IMEI unlocked phones available for resale, why didn't you just buy one of those, especially if you are getting a 3GS which are very cheap anyway.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

3GS can be unlock with iPad's baseband but there a lot of people says that it ruins the GPS function. The dev-team said that users won't be able to downgrade the iPad's baseband and will always need to use cooked firmware to update rather than normal update.

There are 3 different chips in 3GS. If you flash the newest chip (not sure if it's toshiba) with iPad's baseband then it will fry the chip and won't be able to restore.

5. Mdifilm macrumors regular

thanks for the clarification, I guessed now that ATT iphones can be unlocked with att, I just don't think it's smart to tinker with different firmware...

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The simple and best thing to do is call AT&T and get that 2009 3GS Unlocked since its eligible for a free official carrier unlock; do it and enjoy all the 3GS capabilities.