Just took the plunge for Penryn+Multitouch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hojoon0724, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

I can't believe I did this

Moving from Powerbook G4 is just awesome.

Now, if I can get all the stuff I had on PB to MBP.... It's taking forever!!!

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Oh lord, you HAVE waited long enough. I never used a PowerBook, but I had a Mac Mini G4. Nothing like two processing cores and a bus about twice as fast to make you feel better.

From what I read tonight, I think my target for a new notebook is when USB 3.0 devices start hitting the market in the next 3 years. Maybe by then SSDs won't cost an extra $1000. :)

4. pionata macrumors 6502

Im upgrading from a mac mini 1.42ghz with 512 megs of ram to the 15" MBP with 4 gigs of ram.

8 times more ram!
    Who knows how much faster (Im guessing near 6 times faster of a processor, perhaps more)?!

Still, I liked that mini, it was a cute little machine to go with the 23" acd.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I hope they keep something like that around for a while because even though I sold mine, at some point I'd love another one to work as something like a music/print server. I knew someone who wanted a Mac, and I wasn't really using it.

I put 2GB in here (came with 1) and I don't even think it tops out all of it. Someone must tell me how you can literally utilize even 2GB of RAM. Maybe I need to compile something with iMovie, but I think my processor bottlenecks first.

6. porterboy macrumors newbie

Hardware defect in new MBP penryn

Hi Guys,
    this is my first post. i bought a mbp penryn (2.4gh) last thursday night.
    today, friday, i started to configure things and then i realized that the laptop doesnt close well. the left side of the screen is more lifted than the right side?
    i mean i just opened it today...its about 2-3 mm ajarred compared to the right side.

will i get an exchange without having to pay restocking fee?

7. pionata macrumors 6502

When working with music samples, like sampled instruments, you can fill up the ram quite fast. The best piano sample sound I tried for example is around 4 gigs and loads up over 512 megs of ram. Imagine now loading an entire orchestra, where each instruments take about 1/6th in ram what they take in hd space (and each instrument is between 700 megs and 2 gigs).

And they do not tax the processor too much, as you can limit the number of "voices" that are played simultaneously.

8. wolfattack macrumors member

From what i understand, they all do that, none of them close all the way like the macbooks do.