Just traded for an iPhone 3g - Now what?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dbalone, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dbalone macrumors member

Had a real old ipod I just traded to a friend for his old iPhone 3g. He had gotten a new one. I currently have T-Mobile and would like to try and use the Iphone. There is a ton of information and it ends up being confusing on what I need to do. Do I jailbreak and then unlock? Or can I just unlock? It has software version 4.1 on it. Can I go backwards on the software?

Can someone explain in some easy steps what to do?

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Launch Settings. Press General, press About. Tell us your Version and Modem Firmware.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You need to Jailbreak and them Unlock.

Depending on what Bootroom that Phone have, the current firmware is running and what baseband it have you got some options.

here a list of guides, read and determine what and which one you need to follow.

http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=2

4. dbalone thread starter macrumors member

Well unfortunately I left it at home. At work now. I will follow-up with the firmware, etc. Thanks for responses.

5. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I dont think it matters what OS you're on I believe you can untether jailbreak any iPhone 3G. As for unlocking, that is a different story.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

While that is true, the "Tool" choice will depend on what iOS version he is running. and the upgrade path will determine his chances of unlocking.

7. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Correct.

8. ignus graius macrumors regular

Doesn't the 4.1 probably mean he lacks an unlockable baseband (barring a PwnageTool firmware). It seems like the easiest method would be downloading 4.1 firmware for the iPhone 3G, 3.2.2 firmware for the iPad, jailbreaking with redsn0w 0.9.6rc8, and checking the option to install the iPad baseband. Once finished, dbalone could install ultrasn0w through Cydia and be unlocked. Downside would be the loss of GPS and ability to take it into an Apple store.

Thoughts?

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I just love all the replies here when we don't even know what the OP has on the phone yet.

As long as we are all busy speculating, I'm picking the Chicago Bears to win the Super Bowl.

10. ignus graius macrumors regular

The OP said he (or she?) has an iPhone 3G. He also said the iOS on the phone is 4.1. My post was based on the assumption that it had not been previously jailbroken (otherwise why would he be asking).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm gonna go with the steelers:D

12. dbalone thread starter macrumors member

Ok -It says:

Version: 4.1 (8B117)
    Carrier: AT&T 8.0
    Modem Firmware: 5.14.02

Is there anything else to know?

13. dbalone thread starter macrumors member

Keep in mind guys that it was basically a free phone but at the end of the day I would like it to work as a phone but I can live with an iPod touch too.

14. noiceT macrumors 6502a

15. dbalone thread starter macrumors member

16. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You can. I'm just saying when you activate the phone. Activating with a non official sim can cause issues sometimes.

17. vjdebart macrumors newbie

So I'm looking at an I phone 4G 8gig tomorrow its in very nice condition and the seller says its unlocked and she has been using her T mobile sim card and the T mobile network with the phone. she tells me its got the 3.1 OS and works perfectly. Is there anything I should be looking for as I check out the phone? I plan to insert my sim card and make a test phone call other than that what other issues should I look at

BTW i do not plan to get a data plan just use WIFI from time to time

Thanks

Vincent
    new guy and new to I phone

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Iphone 3G you mean?
    There is no iphone 4G or iphone 4 with 8GB of storage.

19. vjdebart macrumors newbie

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, all iphone 3G models can be JB and unlocked untethered at the moment.
    Not sure what baseband is on but if they upgraded it to the ipad baseband your GPS might not function.
    Other than that if your sim works and the phone looks in good shape you should be ok.

21. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

If you don't want to use the phone much and don't want a contract you can put a AT&T GoPhone sim card in it. You can change the APN to get data too. Not for everyone, but a way to at least have a working phone.