Just tried an Iphone at Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by froghat, Sep 16, 2008.

1. froghat macrumors newbie

It's cool, but I tried the touch keyboard and I kept screwing up. The letters are so close to each other. How long does it take to get used to the keyboard?

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

takes a bit of time... U can def still flyyyy on it but I say nothing beats the responsiveness of an actual button...

3. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

After you use the keyboard for a few weeks, you'll start to type quite fast. You may or may not know that some app's support landscape keyboarding which means that the keyboard goes along the bottom of screen instead of across like this:

[​IMG]

snverhallen

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Within a few weeks you should be fairly comfortable with it.

You know the letters don't appear until you take your finger off them right? If you hit the wrong key and hold your finger on it, you can move to another letter and won't have to backspace.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but there are parts of the iPhone where having the keyboard in landscape mode would certainly work much better. IE: Mail, Texting, Notes ...
    I'm sure the list is longer.

I was used to the keyboard in a matter of days. It has learned the words I typically botch and I find that I am rather snappy on it. Still, nothing beats the Blackberry I use for work but it is still quite responsive and accurate all things considering.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1-3 weeks to get comfortable 2-3 more weeks to use thumbs.

TEG

7. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I like buttons much better, BUT the iPhone's predictive fixing of mis-typing actually works very well. It also seems to get better the longer you use it.

8. rsk137 macrumors member

It took me about 3 - 4 days to get comfortable with it and from customers I have talked to, it takes about a week or two to be fully comfortable. One thing to keep in mind is that playing with demo phones aren't the best since hundreds of people interact with them on a daily basis (in most cases) thus throwing off some of the passive features of the keyboard.

The keyboard does adjust to your typing style more than you think and it adds your words to it's dictionary, but with people just going up to the phone and just pushing a bunch of buttons, it throws it off.

9. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I was typing pretty well within a few days, and I was typing fast and well by week's end.

The trick is to trust auto-correction and keep going. Also, learning a couple of easy tricks makes it work even faster. I can usually type a paragraph several sentences long with maybe one typo, and that's usually my fault.

Also, it helps if you know how to spell. I notice that the auto-correction will work about 97% for me, but less well for my friend who depends more on spell-check. That's because its accuracy depends on looking at the letters around what you've hit to run the probabilities on words. If instead of hitting the wrong key, you spell something wrong (thereby hitting letters not next to the correct letters), it won't be able to work as well.

Hope that makes sense, but don't let the keyboard hold you back. :)

11. acurafan macrumors 6502a

the keyboard is terrible for those of us with big fingers. apple needs to make the buttons bigger, seriously.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

So much THIS.

trust auto-correction and keep going

13. Dizle macrumors 6502

not being able to type in portrait = fail

I can type faster and more accurately in portrait mode. The typing on these is very east to get use to, before I had one I had the hardest time though.

14. aluren macrumors 65816

it's not that bad! still beats the good old days of having to type each letter with the regular cell phone keypad (0-9) with 3 letters for each number. coming from a blackberry curve, i got used to it almost instantly. do i miss the blackberry keypad? of course. but because the iphone offers so much more, i can easily accept it.

15. rsk137 macrumors member

The only time I feel the need to use landscape text is if I am posting on a forum from my iPhone and I will say it's a heck of alot better than using the old school numeric pads and even the BB keypad.

16. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I am much faster typing on the touchscreen because I barely have to touch the screen to get the letter to come up. Using two thumbs I barely have to look at the phone while I type anymore. Oh and touchscreen is silent in meetings =)

It probably took me a week to get good with it and a couple months to type close to the same speed that an average person would type on a keyboard.

17. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

Actually I have big fingers (honestly) and chubby thumbs *sigh* but I've gotten used to the keyboard without too much trouble ..

Totally agree with whoever posted 'trust the predictive text' .. It took a long time for me not to go back and correct whenever I'd made a mistake but when I gave into it it all started to work ..

'you will be assimilated'

Loopy

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where would you like them to put said bigger buttons? If you think about it, the buttons are larger than the blackberry. The difference is that you can actually feel the BB buttons. I would not say I have fat thumbs, but they're certainly not small (for a girl) and I do jussssst fine. ;) Call me talented I guess.

I do not think people want landscape only ... I believe they want the option.

19. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree. It would seem simple to me, if you can do it in Safari, why not in email, texting etc.