Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
Code:
Walked in and got an appointment in 5 minutes. There was no line outside or anything. It looked like a normal day there (in fact even a bit quieter than normal). Not sure that means much - after all you can't even order one yet...

My impressions:

1.The 38mm is tiny and not for men. Period (and I have small wrists). In fact, I think the 38mm is small enough that it will inhibit the functionality of the watch somewhat

2. People say the photos don't do the watch justice. Not true. The (superb) photos on the website do capture the look of the watch and bands very well. I was not "surprised" by anything I saw. And for the record, yes the Sport space grey is darker than it is on my iPhone 6

3. The silver v space grey Sport debate has not been resolved for me. I am still torn...

4. I did not like the white band. And it was already getting dirty. I am actually leaning towards the blue with silver Al watch (though ordering a black band to go with it which I will be wearing almost exclusively)

5. The sport band is a real achievement and a piece of tech in itself. It is very pliable and supple and feels very premium. In fact it is more supple than the fairly disappointing leather loop (which looks good but feels pretty average)

6. I won't be going for the SS - I prefer the Sport. But, the SS with the link bracelet is really, really nice.

That band is as good as it gets - especially the machining of the deployment clasp (so it should be for the price). I held it next to the Silver Sport watch and clearly the match is not perfect but nor is it with the SS watch (the link is far more matte finish).

7. The milanese loop is all wrong. Just too fussy and inconsistent with the design and function of the watch (though it too is an impressive bit of engineering).

7. The taptic feedback is insanely cool. So much better than mere vibration. Would be very hard not to notice it no matter what else you are doing

8. The display is good - but not amazing. The try on watches are on a loop (you cannot interact with them), so I could not try out everything but some of the faces seems to looked sharper than others. (There are some static displays next to iPads that allow interaction but I didn't spend much time with them).

In short: still getting one, still getting Sport. Leaning towards silver Al.

Go ahead - flame away!

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
do you think the silver sport would look alright with the milanese loop? I was considering a silver sport and a leather band, but I want to see the leather first. I like the milanese loop.

I'm in-between space grey and silver sport.

SLQ03

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Hearing that the space gray is a darker shade than the 6 makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

All good info. Based on this and everything else I'm hearing I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick to a sport black. I may get a colored band later to spice things up a bit, but I doubt I'll end up getting any other bands

The try on watches are on a loop (you cannot interact with them)

This is the most interesting piece that I just learned. I hadn't heard that yet.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Code:

7. The milanese loop is all wrong. Just too fussy and inconsistent with the design and function of the watch (though it too is an impressive bit of engineering).

What do you mean? This makes no sense.. Fussy and inconsistent with design and function? Huh??? Haha

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks

At least you are still getting one after seeing it.

That's encouraging :D

The rest of us stumbling blindly.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Hearing that the space gray is a darker shade than the 6 makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

This! I want that black on black Knight Rider! :cool: Tough looking, but minimal and sophisticated. :D

----------

What do you mean? This makes no sense.. Fussy and inconsistent with design and function? Huh??? Haha

My guess the band is "meshy soft lines" the watch clean hard lines? And the band only comes in silver. So if you wanted the black SS, that would be inconsistent color wise. Too flip flop. Black on black for me! Or Space Gray :D

Everyone has different tastes though.

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
This post is amazing to read but yet I am still up in the air and have no idea which one to select. I was leaning towards the leather loop until you said it was fairly disappointing! Maybe i'll go sport strap instead and decide on another strap later.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Code:

1.The 38mm is tiny and not for men. Period (and I have small wrists). In fact, I think the 38mm is small enough that it will inhibit the functionality of the watch somewhat

Small wrists? Care to be more specific as in wrist circumference? That would be a helpful bit of info. A Fiat 500 is huge to a child, not so much to Shaquille O'Neill.

Are you saying the "actual size" pictures on the Apple Store iOS app are not actual size? Or are you just being modest when you say you have small wrists?

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Code:
3. The silver v space grey Sport debate has not been resolved for me. I am still torn...

4. I did not like the white band. And it was already getting dirty. I am actually leaning towards the blue with silver Al watch (though ordering a black band to go with it which I will be wearing almost exclusively)

So, you think the silver aluminum face looks better than the space grey? With a black band?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.