Just tried out AT&T WiFi Hotspot...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Jan 27, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

at the local McDonald's, and it worked out perfectly. Did the iNetwork test: 1330 kbps with AT&T WiFi Hotspot; and 745.7 kbps with EDGE Network. Huge difference! :cool:

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

745.7 kbps for Edge? :confused: That's way out of line.

http://www.iphonenetworktest.com/results

Average Speed 495.3652 kbps
    Average WiFi 725.2496 kbps
    Average Edge 211.3927 kbps

Your Edge speed is at the speeds they've averaged for WiFi.

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just did a retest...

at the same McDonald's and I was not able to repeat the EDGE number of 745.7, but did get a number of 240.3 kbps. I may have been operating on the WiFi when I posted the 745.7. AT&T WiFi posted 1286.3, which is pretty consistent for that Hot Spot. (Thanks avaloncourt) :cool:

4. MikeDougherty macrumors newbie

Would you mind sharing how you were able to get access?

I've tried it a couple times and could not get on the network. The AT&T docs seem to indicate that I need some sort of connection manager, which only works on Win*. I seem to be unable to find the doc, or get the right customer service agent, that tells me how to get my MacBook Pro onto an AT&T Hotspot. But it looks like you have. Care to share the procedures?

Thanks for your help.

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Certainly...

Go to this website to see if you already have the FREE access:

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949

You must have the AT&T DSL or U-Verse Premier or Basic Home Account with a minimum 1.5Mbps or higher!

I went to the local Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and my BlackBook 2.4 automatically searched and located about four WiFi locations, also went to the local McDonald's and my iPhone did the exact same search. I clicked on the att.wifi and I was sent to a page that requested my email address, which I entered my AT&T Home DSL email address: XXXXXXX@sbcglobal.net and entered my password and I was taken to my home page: berkeley.edu

Feel free to PM me is you should have further questions or problems. :cool:

6. MikeDougherty macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks for the info. I am *suppose* have Wifi Hotspot access. I have a HSDPA Broadband Express card and an unlimited data package, which is suppose to include access to all the AT&T Wifi Hotspots. But as mentioned above, no one at AT&T has been able to tell me how to "sign in". I get the same login page, but I do not have a username and password. I've tried my HSDPA modem's phone number and some PIN I was given. But that has not worked.

Anyway, different situation, but thanks for the information.

7. ViPa macrumors 6502a

i have an iphone under an att company line (i work at att) ..wonder if i get access :rolleyes:

8. jakeacc macrumors regular

I have ATT Uverse (tv and broadband internet) so I qualify for the free access to att wifi hotspots. Having access to these hotspots is one of the many reasons we are purchasing wifi-enabled phones. (by wife and i are planning on purchasing iphones in a few months)

When I signed up for Uverse, i created an email account (ends with @att.net) When we login to these hot-spots, do we have to use that email? (as its probably the master account) Or can my wife login with the email I created for her.

9. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not certain, but I've been using my XXXXXX@sbcglobal.net (primary account holders email address and password), and the password. My wife uses the exact same email address and password, since she could not access AT&T WiFi Hotspots with hers. :(