Just tried the Apple watch at Shibuya Apple Store

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seong, Apr 9, 2015.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I was leaning towards getting the 38mm but it felt small on my 160mm wrist... I read somewhere here that <=170mm should go for 38mm but I'm going for 42mm without a second thought. (I'm a male, FYI)
    If you don't want your entire wrist to be filled up with the screen, then you should go for 38mm (for some reason it looked small on my wrist.)

P.S.
    The tactic feedback was actually just right for me. It literally felt like someone tapping on my wrist haha.
    And I had to adjust the band so that its at its smallest size.
    Sorry for no pics, they didn't allow me to take any photos besides the display one.

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

3. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

I know!
    Oops apparently I'm not the only one posting the first impressions haha.
    It would really suck to pre order one without trying one.

4. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

cant wait to see the "jsut tried in nyc" "just tried in dallas" "just tried in denver" "just tried in CA" threads tomorrow

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It would be nice if we could have one mega thread for all the first impressions.

6. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Right, I was looking for one but it was like all mixed up in places. I wouldn't mind mods merging or closing this one though.

----------

Hasn't it always been like this on Macrumors? Haha.
    Even the last iPhone launch was a craze on the forums if I remember correctly.

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Strange.

I have similar wrist size. I might go 38.

8. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Yea, the guy next to me was happy with 38mm, and he had a smaller wrist (definitely smaller, but not thinner.)

9. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

can you measure the width of your wrist? The circumference is more for bands than watch face size.

10. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Could you tell me if the watch sat somewhat tight enough after adjusting it? My wrist is tiny. Thanks.

11. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Right, sorry about that.
    its 50mm for the width, 35mm for the height (i don't know if people normally call it a 'height,' but its the thickness of the wrist from top to bottom, width being the thickness from left to right.)

----------

The Apple Store guy adjusted it for me, and for the 42mm one, he had me on the smallest size. On that size, it was just about good. I think I will keep it at the second circle(?) from the smallest one though.

12. eg0 macrumors regular

Hey man, I'm planning on calling to schedule an appointment and (hopefully) reserve one tomorrow... if I ever get through the language barrier.

How was the line? Would I be able to just walk in without calling before hand?

13. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Thanks!

14. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

haha don't worry about the language! I went in there and spoke in English until I got out :p (For making a reservation, I'm sure they will switch to someone who can speak English.)
    It took me less than 5 min to try on the Apple Store at Shibuya (not to be confused with the one in Omotesando.)

15. eg0 macrumors regular

I was on the phone for around 30 minutes and the only English I received was at the dedicated apple watch store in Shinjuku. I know I won't have a problem at the actual store, just want to make sure I don't waste my time going and having to wait in a huge line.

16. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

About an hour ago I talked to a lucky dev who got to spend 10 days working with the watch. They were happy with it and without a doubt will be purchasing it.

Needless to say, I was very jealous lol.

The big feedback they gave was that the smaller one is a bit small for UI. They had to spend a lot of time to get it to look as good as the large ones.

17. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Wait hold on, you were at Shinjuku Isetan today?
    I was there too, but I was bummed out by the fact that I couldn't try it on, so I went straight to Shibuya Apple Store.
    Hmm I just called the phone line and they aren't quite good with dealing English speaking customers. I think visiting the store would be better option.

18. eg0 macrumors regular

No, I called them. They told me that unless I had a specific Japanese card, that I wouldn't be able to try it on without standing in line. There's no way I can go try it on before the pre-orders start. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, now I'm debating between the 38/42

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Did you actually think you were the only one? Come on now.... Nice you tried it on.

20. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Oh right the women in charge did say something among the line.. It involved having Isetan Credit Card or sth. Not quite 100% sure on that one.

I think Apple had in mind that 38 is intended for women, where as 42 is more for men. I think you can get either one and return if you really don't see yourself using it in the future.

----------

haha it has been AGES since I last posted one, so I just quickly wrote my thoughts down.
    Yes, it definitely changes the way you look at it. Seeing on the video and actually wearing one was quite different.