iPad mini Just trumped for a mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrisrosemusic1, Apr 11, 2013.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Screen is fine for apps and photos but boy does it look poor on websites and iMessage etc..

Got 13 days to persist but this may be a deal breaker for me. The text is definitely not 'pin sharp' as apple marketing states...

2. scottw324 macrumors 6502

That is why I am waiting for the iPad Mini 2. Going to give my wife my iPad 3 and sell her iPad 2.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

You get used to it, you will notice the difference when putting it next to the Retina iPad but to be honest with the resolution of the iPad 2 on a smaller screen you will have to look close to see the rough text edges.
    I for one prefer reading on it to my old retina(which is now my girlfriends).

My advice would be, if you like the form factor, keep it till the next one comes out, sell yours and buy the retina mini, as with all things Apple they hold their value.

4. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I would put photos over in the poor category.

Its reduced color gamut and not so great calibration is really noticeable even compared to my 3 year old MBP.

Reds are orangish red. About 40% or more of every color is missing and neutral looking greys don't exist either.

The retina iPad blows it away. Heck, even the Nexus 7 has a nicer screen.

5. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I'm warming to it tbh. The size and weight are incredibly well balanced. Apps and games look fine and I can probably live with crappy text until the retina version comes out.

Just picked my (girlfriend stole it) 3rd gen up and although screen is way better it feels like a lump by comparison.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If you use the mini in portrait mode and don't zoom the screen then yes, the text can be a bit of a mess.

However, I tend to use it exclusively in landscape orientation, and that makes the text much better so it's not an issue for me.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Depends on your priority. See how you feel closer to the return date. I could not be satisfied with it especially when I felt the second gen was not going to be as early as some folks insisted.

8. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

This is a great idea.

In all honesty, I absolutely love it now.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Excellent. The size of the mini lends itself much better to landscape.

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Haha. That was a quick turnaround.

11. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Worthy one.

Oh bought a 16gb cos I wasn't certain I'd like it. Love it so much I'm taking it back for a 32 tomorrow

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I recommend keeping the 16gb. Upgrade to 32kb Mini 2 when it becomes available.

13. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

It's full already though, and that's without any music or video on it. I know someone who will buy it from me for a very good price later in the year anyway.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never really thought the mini looked poor with websites. Perhaps its my poor eyesight. I'm not saying you can't notice the pixels, but I don't really see a major difference in reading or websites.

I'm content with my mini and we'll see what apple does for the next revision but so far I'm not really prepared to buy the next one.

15. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's a matter of expectations. I decided before buying mine that I'd rather put up with a low res display in exchange for a form factor I knew I would enjoy.

In addition it's a tradition for Apple to deprive early adopters of features they could easily include, but never do on version 1.0 harware, so that was no surprise.

Everything's a compromise, the two well known sacrifices with Apple are the high price & mediocre feature set with first gen products. They know we have no choice if we want one now, and they take advantage of it :)

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

At the end of the day, it is what it is. Apple have stores where you can determine for yourself if its acceptable to you.

If it's not and you still buy it then bitch about it, Then there's only one fool, and its not Apple.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

There is no great price guarantee for a sale later on. Walmart already dropped the 16gb Mini to $299. I expect the Mini will drop even more which will lessen resale value down the road especially if the mini 2 is released at $329.

If it is already full though, I guess you don't have much choice.

18. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Bought a 32 today. I will sell it to a friend when the 2 comes out for a reasonable amount as I do with all my old tech :cool:

19. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Tried it: liked the form factor, hated the screen. No dice.

20. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Bought a mini this past week and love the form factor. I've had an iPad 4 before, and I currently have a retina Macbook Pro and the iPhone 5. Yeah, the mini isn't retina, but the convenience of holding it extended periods with one hand and not needing to prop-up with a stand, more than makes up for the reduced screen resolution. Retina beauty is something I appreciate, but not a deal breaker. If the next mini has retina I will upgrade, but I've found an iPad the size of the mini, better complements it's use along side on my laptop and iPhone.