Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Hey everyone i am about to have my first mac, a macbook pro. I live in Turkey and Apple prices are really of the roof here. So i ordered it from Amazon to save 1500$ and had it shipped to my friend's house in USA. He will bring it with him when coming here to Turkey. I ordered on 16th of June, delivered on 23th of June and i will be getting it tomorrow.

Problem is i heard that it should be calibrated within a week after buying. I suppose this wouldn't be a problem right? I mean it should be a week after booting it i think?

second question is about using while calibrating. I know i can use my laptop when it is fully charged and resting on that state for 2 hours but can i use it while it's charging. To tell more clearly, calibration is;

Step 1: Fully charge your MBP
Step 2: Let it stay plugged and fully charged for 2 hours
Step 3: Drain the battery until it shuts down
Step 4: Let it stay that way for 5 hours
Step 5: Charge it up, 100%.

what i am asking is can i use it on step 1. I know i can use it on step2-3-5

There you go, two stupid questions asked in the clearest way possible. Thanks for your answers.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Yes you can use it.

Apple Support said:
Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.

At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, you can use it while charging and discharging. Calibration within the first week isn't a critical issue. If you do it a few days earlier or later... or forgot to do it at all... you can always go back and calibrate. It has nothing to do with your battery health or lifespan.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

aljlin

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
CA
I think the point of that message about length of time between buying and calibrating your machine isn't so much when you purchase your machine, but really more like when you begin using the machine and the time you calibrate your battery. It's trying to ensure that you know you should calibrate your battery as soon as possible, and not wait a couple months to do the first battery calibration. As long as your computer remains in the box between delivery and the time you receive the computer it will be fine.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I think the point of that message about length of time between buying and calibrating your machine isn't so much when you purchase your machine, but really more like when you begin using the machine and the time you calibrate your battery. It's trying to ensure that you know you should calibrate your battery as soon as possible, and not wait a couple months to do the first battery calibration. As long as your computer remains in the box between delivery and the time you receive the computer it will be fine.

he has to take it out of the box and take it with him in a handbag to the airplane not to pay taxes in customs. If airport security wants he even has to open it and shut it down by pressing power button. His flight is tomorrow. I hope i can see him and get my first mac ever this weekend. Can't wait. That will be the day PC dies for me never to resurrect.(hopefully)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.