Just two quick questions on calibrating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Jul 1, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hey everyone i am about to have my first mac, a macbook pro. I live in Turkey and Apple prices are really of the roof here. So i ordered it from Amazon to save 1500$ and had it shipped to my friend's house in USA. He will bring it with him when coming here to Turkey. I ordered on 16th of June, delivered on 23th of June and i will be getting it tomorrow.

Problem is i heard that it should be calibrated within a week after buying. I suppose this wouldn't be a problem right? I mean it should be a week after booting it i think?

second question is about using while calibrating. I know i can use my laptop when it is fully charged and resting on that state for 2 hours but can i use it while it's charging. To tell more clearly, calibration is;

Step 1: Fully charge your MBP
    Step 2: Let it stay plugged and fully charged for 2 hours
    Step 3: Drain the battery until it shuts down
    Step 4: Let it stay that way for 5 hours
    Step 5: Charge it up, 100%.

what i am asking is can i use it on step 1. I know i can use it on step2-3-5

There you go, two stupid questions asked in the clearest way possible. Thanks for your answers.

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yes you can use it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can use it while charging and discharging. Calibration within the first week isn't a critical issue. If you do it a few days earlier or later... or forgot to do it at all... you can always go back and calibrate. It has nothing to do with your battery health or lifespan.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

4. aljlin macrumors regular

I think the point of that message about length of time between buying and calibrating your machine isn't so much when you purchase your machine, but really more like when you begin using the machine and the time you calibrate your battery. It's trying to ensure that you know you should calibrate your battery as soon as possible, and not wait a couple months to do the first battery calibration. As long as your computer remains in the box between delivery and the time you receive the computer it will be fine.

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

he has to take it out of the box and take it with him in a handbag to the airplane not to pay taxes in customs. If airport security wants he even has to open it and shut it down by pressing power button. His flight is tomorrow. I hope i can see him and get my first mac ever this weekend. Can't wait. That will be the day PC dies for me never to resurrect.(hopefully)