iPad Just unboxed a 5.01 ipad2 next move?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Egofreak, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Egofreak macrumors newbie

So I just got an iPad 2 and it had 5.01! So I went and jail broke the pad and then ran to backup my shsh blob file (wrong terminology?) and read up that 5.01 shsh files are useless since I missed the "window". I used tiny umbrella to get my file just to be on the safe side. What's my next move? What if I want to go back to un broken 5.01? What about general backups for that "oh ****" situation?
    I think my next move is waiting for the 5.1 "window" did I miss it already? It's been a long time since I've danced with apple on the jb scene so any help for an old timer would be great.
    Thanks guys!

2. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Is this a refurb from apple? 3G? Just curious. I started another thread on apple refurbs, up to 2 weeks ago they were 501' but then got upgraded. These were the 16gb wifi's. I'm wondering about the AT&T refurbs now.

There are no options for saving 501. There's no easy way back to factory 501 setting. Just enjoy the break. Personally I do not add any cydia hacks that are not proven safe. Only one shaky cydia hack can cause a problem and a forced restore to 5.1. There are no safety escapes back to a clean 501 if you have a problem.
    Saved blobs don't work with 501, even if you had saved them while 501 was current, I've read.

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Correct that you can't save your SHSH's for 5.01 anymore, safeguard the SHSH' s for 5.1, you might need them one day.

You didn't miss the window for 5.1, no JB out yet, several people working on it, but no ETA's, keep paying attention to the forum and to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

As for backup, only the general iTunes backup is available for personal settings/music/appstore apps/ etc.

What does tinyumbrella say? only SHSH for 5.1 or other as well? If it is a refurb there might be some old SHSH's available in TU.
    The wifi only iPad2 and the GSM iPad2 can be downgraded to 4.3.3 with the proper SHSH's.

Semaphore, creator of TU, is working on a downgrade possibility, no ETA's though.

Enjoy your new toy!

4. Egofreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so to not miss the window, do I need to rush to 5.1 and save my blob now? or do i just sit and wait fir the JB--> update to stock 5.1---> export shshs---> then JB all within the "window"

Its a brand new Ipad2. 3g enabled on AT&T 16gb. Also for safety reasons, what bad hack is it that breaks everything?

no going back to 5.01. eh ok, ill wait for the new JB.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for being really helpful

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Especially important to save your 5.1 SHSH's now as you have a GSM iPad2.

You don't have to be on 5.1 to do that, use Tinyumbrella, connect iPad and open TU, on the main page click on save SHSH.

The 5.1 SHSH wil now show up in the SHSH list.
    It will save the SHSH's, APTicket and BBTicket.

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I tried that with my 501 ipad2. TU did not save anything.

7. Egofreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked for me, unclick " check with cydia"

like this?
    [​IMG]