Just Unboxed Brand New MBP....SCRATCH ON CASE!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skythefly13, Jun 24, 2008.

1. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

So I just excitingly unboxed my new MBP. As soon as I slid it out of the foam sleeve it was in, I looked at the top cover and see an inch long scratch. WHAT THE HECK! I plan on calling Apple tomorrow and see what can be done about it. And no, I didnt accidentally scratch it in the first 5 seconds of opening it. What do you guys think?

2. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I think you should get a replacement!!

Cheers,
    :):apple:

4. skythefly13 thread starter macrumors 6502

So will apple 1 day ship it out to me? or how would it work...Dont have an apple store anywhere near me...

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I would return it immediately to the store if u got it there or call the apple store if u got it from them. Do not keep it like it is.

6. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

They will replace it no questions asked, You've owned it for a day, they probably won't even question you. Just say it came with a giant scratch. Easiest would be an apple store if theres one within a 4 hour drive, you could get it all done in one day. If not It can take up to 5 business days to replace the laptop. This is because they need to confirm they received yours, once they receive yours they will ship out the new one quickly.

7. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

They will replace it for sure. Is there even a human eye checking for these things when they come off the assembly line I wonder?

8. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

EDIT: Probably. My guess is damage during shipping.

9. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

PICS or it didnt happen...

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Do people post lies around here for entertainment?

11. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You'd be surprised. Anyways, to the OP, if what you say is correct, don't boot up/play with the machine because they might think you've been using it.

You won't get 1 day shipping and they won't ship the new one out until they get the old one back, so expect a minimum of a week to 10 days before you see your new one.

12. skythefly13 thread starter macrumors 6502

As for the lie post, yes, I frequently do that to get attention on the internet. Consider it a hobby of mine.

Anyways, I really dont want to send it back, only because I have already waited a week and a half to get it! And as many of you probably know, that can be a LONG wait. After all, it will probably end up getting scratched through my 4 years of college ahead of me. Thanks everyone!

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

if you dont return it to the store the same day you got it, you will have troubles later.. they will not believe you that you got it like that or just say they cant replace it for you becuase it has a scratch on it.. :apple:

p.s can u post a pic? please just to see how bad it is

14. Eric. macrumors regular

You'll end up wishing you had replaced it in a few months, you know. :rolleyes:

15. wolfmanfx macrumors newbie

Yeah today same happen here. And for those who ask for pics it is hard to make picture because you can see these scratch very hard because of the aluminium you have to hold the NB at a angle where the alu do not reflect but the scratches do. It look like a mechnaic error

16. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

get used to the scratches (they are hard to see with a camera, but obvious in real life). ive had 2 with scratches longer than an inch.

I dont think apple is using any quality control on these laptops.

17. MacDrummer macrumors newbie

Foam Sleeve?

Mine was wrapped in clear plastic.

18. tom burns macrumors member

Mine had a dent next to the trackpad, which i didnt notice
    until i used it next to a lamp. I returned it though and i wait for
    the applestore to bring stock again...

19. Blambu macrumors newbie

Mine has a huge scrap next to the slot loading drive edge on the right.

The screen also has giant finger print marks that took me some rubbing to get off.

Overall impressions; not good.

20. Nedturskakao macrumors member

Wtf, mine had a little scratch on the cover too! But now it's gone... Guess it meltet off:p

(last part was a joke)

21. r88my macrumors regular