Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I processed the unlock code through AT&T, and they sent me an e-mail back saying the device can be unlocked. They want me to restore the device through iTunes. Only problem is if I do this, it will restore to iOS 8.1. I want to stay on iOS 6. So my question is do I have to restore, or can I just pop in a T-Mobile sim card into the device now?

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I don't think the sim has to be active. Just pop it in and if it says invalid that means still locked. With the iPhone 5 you will need to do a restore.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I don't think the sim has to be active. Just pop it in and if it says invalid that means still locked. With the iPhone 5 you will need to do a restore.

I shouldn't have to do a restore. That's BS because if I do it will load iOS 8.1 which can't hold a candle to the performance of iOS 6. I also do not want that bright fruit salad look.

I will have to test this out. But if I do have to do a restore in order for it to be unlocked, that's some BS!!!

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I shouldn't have to do a restore. That's BS because if I do it will load iOS 8.1 which can't hold a candle to the performance of iOS 6. I also do not want that bright fruit salad look.

I will have to test this out. But if I do have to do a restore in order for it to be unlocked, that's some BS!!!

I know that my iPhone 6 did not require a restore all I did was insert another carrier sim and waited for activation and then got signal. I think while back my iPhone 5s didn't require a restore either.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Try a friend or other family members T-Mobile or other sim to confirm. I think it should work without restore. It did for me when I got my 5 unlocked through att.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.