Just updated.. Few Photos Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Autokon, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

1. Since the Photos app imported my iPhoto library, can I DELETE the old iPhoto library as well as the iPhoto App? I'm surprised it didn't offer to remove iPhoto from my machine once I imported over to Photos since it's essentially dead now. Any scripts out there to completely nuke iPhoto if so? I'm an OCD freak when it comes to uninstalls.. :rolleyes:

2. iCloud Photo Library - I fully understand this and have been using it across my iOS devices since day one. I suppose I didn't realize that the Photos app would simply want to merge my Mac based photos into my iCloud Photo Library which also contains my iOS photos...THUS, bumping my my storage requirements to the 200GB monthly fee.

Simply - Is there no current way to view JUST my iOS iCloud Photo Library in the Photos app while excluding the desire to merge my Mac photos into it? Really didn't want to have to upgrade to another storage tier. I can view my iOS iCloud Photo Library fine via icloud.com though...

2. mrnorwegian, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

mrnorwegian macrumors member

1. I would say you can if you are happy with the result of the import and everything is working fine. Anyhow you should have a backup of your pictures.

2. My impression is that Photos compares the photos on your mac with the ones in Icloud Photo Library and does not duplicate images? Anyone have experience with this?

3. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

Well, the photos on my Mac are completely different than the ones on my iPhone. So I'm guessing my Mac library would simply be uploaded into my iCloud Photo Library, thus requiring me to upgrade the storage space.

4. mrnorwegian macrumors member

You could go with two libraries on your mac. One system library with your Icloud Photo Library. And one aditional library with your "mac pictures" that you don´t want to upload.

5. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

This could work. I like it.

6. darnovo macrumors regular

is there any way to remove duplicate photos within the photos app ?

7. deviant macrumors 65816

i think i'm doing the same.. i don't need ALL OF MY PHOTOS on my iOS devices (won't fit anyways). I guess i'll just leave all of my old mac photos in a separate library and have a separate library for iphone photos (just to instantly have all the photos i take on iphone on my mac). Could work, right?

8. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

That's exactly what I want to do. I'l be trying to shortly. Anybody else try it? Will we be able to enable the iCloud Photo Library for one library and NOT the other?

9. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

Update:

Worked like a charm! I've got a library called "iCloud Photo Library" that you set that as the "System Photo Library" that's PURELY used for essentially syncing my iOS Device iCloud Photos to my Mac. Easy easy. The library that is set as the system photo library is the only one you can enable icloud photo library for, fyi.

I then created another library (hold option while launching Photo app, same as iPhoto) that holds all of my LOCAL photo albums into events and so forth. My local only collection essentially. It contains 40+ GB is photos.

Working perfectly.

10. deviant macrumors 65816

good. i've only created the iCloud photo library, it's downloading now. anyways, good to know. not that the iphoto is crap or anything, but it's kinda old and heavy. i saw you can still create calendars and books in the new photos app, so that's cool too.

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

Excellent, thanks for the update.

My iPhoto library is huge (100+ GB) and wanted to keep it there for now - don't want to migrate just yet. So I set up the new Photos app just for iCloud syncing the photos between my iPhone and my mac and so far it's working great. Will be using both iPhoto and Photos for now; iPhoto for my large offline library (mainly pics from my DSLR) and Photos to sync, edit and view pics taken with my iPhone.

12. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

Awesome! Glad to hear you guys are having success as well. It's working out perfectly. Two libraries is just easier for us with large pre-existing photo libraries we don't want to toss into the iCloud Photo Library fray....

Now. I just need the cleanest way to remove iPhoto from my machine. I've done and scrubbed all the spots that I know of. Can't find much on the net in terms of additional paths to nuke.