Just updated from 2011 to 2012 quick thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cvam1985, Jun 12, 2012.

1. cvam1985 macrumors regular

So I just sold my 2011 base 13 model and restored my backup onto my new 2012 base 13 :)

While I was extremely pleased with my 2011 even almost a year later, my main reason for upgrading was USB 3. TB drives are more expensive than the cost of this upgrade for me, and I was in desperate need of fast large external storage.

That being said, I am actually most pleased with the performance update! I have only played with it a bit today, but I have to say the things I hated about my old MBA (horrible video streaming speeds in safari and an extremely long wake from sleep time) don't seem to be here.

And I must say, the WD passport drive I picked up today is very very quick. A definite upgrade if you move lots of large files like me.

And I can't put my finger on it about the screen, but it certainly looks a tad brighter and clearer with an almost cooler temperature than the 2011. Maybe it has a different profile loaded or maybe it's just so clean and new right now. Regardless, I like it a touch better.

Anyhow, if you're like me and had some cash to spare and are considering to sell your 2011 MBA for the 2012, I say do it now. Not only the USB, but really I have noticed an overall better performing machine. Resale prices may drop a bit quickly.

2. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

I'm guessing you haven't tested the graphics side much, but are the fans a lot quieter than before?

3. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

The only things that I ever did with the old air that got the fans going were encoding video and watching lots of flash.

I've watched lots of flash and haven't had the fans start yet.....maybe another good sign of a decent upgrade.

4. andrunious macrumors member

5. shznit macrumors member

battery life compared to 2012? I'm on the fence...

6. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Ahh, good question.

7. shznit macrumors member

8. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

The only reason I'd ever think of going from the 2011 to the 2012 would be to have 8 gigs of RAM. But so far I haven't had a problem with 4.