Just updated to iOS5 GM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnsportsgeek, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hey guys, I just updated to iOS 5 GM and have a couple questions.

1. Will we be able to check and see that the iOS 5 GM is the same build that is released on October 12?

2. Under "iCloud" in settings on the iPhone, it keeps saying that my "last back up: unknown" and that it has never been backed up according to the picture below. But it also says that my back up is 36mb. Is this just a glitch with the server that will get sorted out before release?
    [​IMG]

3. When I sync to iTunes it now says that it is syncing genius data. It didn't do that before and it sync's 63 items EVERY time. Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

4. When I try and check for updates OTA it gives me an error and says that it can't connect. Is this normal for now?

Thanks for your help everyone!

2. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

or is there some sort of guide that someone can direct me to that will answer these questions?

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

You gotta scroll down on that same settings page on your iPhone and turn iCloud Backup on. It's saying you've never backed up to iCloud, but rather you HAVE backed up to iTunes.

EDIT: Settings > iCloud > Scroll down to Storage & Backup > iCloud Backup (turn it on). Then, all backups initiated on the device will be saved in iCloud.

----------

I think you'll want to update to the official release because the GM may expire like the betas did/do.

4. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

You mean right here? I've hit that back up now button multiple times.

[​IMG]

5. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

That next back up will keep count of the extra data it will sync in the cloud since your last back-up.

It's been a little temperamental and I've been syncing with iTunes as it's been faster, I would suggest you turn off iCloud back-ups until it's officially launched.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

7. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

yes I made a .me account... seems pretty weird that the iPhone 4S will have this exact software on it and it will be released in 5 days and it's still not functioning properly.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Have you tried clicking the red delete backup button. Then manually try backing up again.

9. wezman2k macrumors newbie

i can say things didn't go well for me. made a backup with itunes 10.4.1 and 4.2.10 just prior to installing iTunes 10.5 beta 9 and ios 5. well, i restored to ios 5 and everything went well until i tried to restore from backup.

initially i kept getting a message that said my backup is corrupt or not compatible with the iphone. i then tried restoring from an older iphone backup located from time machine to see if that worked. it didn't.

eventually i just brought my backup to my friends computer which had 10.4.1. i put the phone in dfu and restored down to 4.2.10 which worked fine. when i tried restoring from the backup at this point the iphone would just disconnect for no reason in the middle of the upgrade. bummer.

thankfully i didn't lose too much because it's all on my computer...i did, however, lose my app organization and settings, text messages etc.

i won't be trying to upgrade early in the future, that's for sure. i'm also not sure if i really trust iphone backups anymore. now that i have everything back to normal i've made a fresh backup. let's hope i can rely on it for future updates/restores.

aside from the above issues i've been using iOS 5 and it's working great.