Just upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad Air 2

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Wow! What a difference !! I finally upgraded my iPad 1 with 16gb from 2010 to a 64gb Air 2.

Going from 256mb of memory to 2gb makes a big difference along with the single core A4 cpu to a 3 core A8X. The screen too is a huge improvement and it's incredibly light ! Safari doesn't crash and it loads pages instantly compared to the iPad 1 .

Hoping this will last me and my kids 6+ years like the iPad 1 :)

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Wow! What a difference !! I finally upgraded my iPad 1 with 16gb from 2010 to a 64gb Air 2.

Going from 256mb of memory to 2gb makes a big difference along with the single core A4 cpu to a 3 core A8X. The screen too is a huge improvement and it's incredibly light ! Safari doesn't crash and it loads pages instantly compared to the iPad 1 .

That's awesome that you held out that long. The Air 2 is great, device Congratulations I wish there were more people like you that used the iPad as long as you did. What did you use it for? I couldn't imagine doing my daily work on the first iPad.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
That's awesome that you held out that long. The Air 2 is great, device Congratulations I wish there were more people like you that used the iPad as long as you did. What did you use it for? I couldn't imagine doing my daily work on the first iPad.
I used the iPad 1 with the BBC news app, tapatalk, Twitter , tune in radio, YouTube , gmail, Flickr , fleedly and Netflix . My kids use Netflix and a few learning apps and kid games . I use safari now with the Air 2 . Safari would crash a lot on the old iPad though Mecrury browser did fair a bit better.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I upgraded from the Air 1 to the Air 2 and am also thrilled with it! The screen is lovely, the sound is amazing & I sure don't miss Safari tabs constantly reloading!

My friend has the original iPad & I don't know how you have held out so long with it?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Congrats! I just upgraded to the Air 2 -- from the horrible iPad 3 and it was a huge, huge improvement. I may give in to temptation and exchange it for a Pro.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
How did you you not go crazy using an ipad 1 for so long? how much did you sell your ipad for and for how much did you bought the new one?
I still have the iPad 1 16gb for Netflix. The iPad 1 was pretty stable except for Safari. A lot of the new sites are pretty heavy with JavaScript and the iPad 1 doesn't handle that well. But the apps worked good for the most part . I could not get any app updates or OS updates anymore but it managed fine for what it could do. I tend to consume most of my news or media through apps which faired much better than using Safari.

I never went crazy per say as we have two MacBooks in the house for work. I got the Air 2 because my boys are 2 & 4 and I wanted to get newer apps for them for education. I could of got a mini 2 or an Air 1 but I got $50 off ($549 CDN) for the Air 2 and figured with the 2gb of ram this 'may' last me better than iPad 1 in terms of OS updates and app updates. I don't upgrade as often as other people. My Wife and I's MacBook Pro are from 2011 and 2012 and we won't replace those until they break or I can't do something on them any longer.

r6mile

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I still have the iPad 1 16gb for Netflix.
I am thinking of 'appropriating' my parents' old and unused iPad 1 so that I can watch Netflix and Plex in bed. I know it only runs iOS 5 and is therefore limited in terms of apps, but how have you found the streaming experience on it? Is it adequate?

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
I am thinking of 'appropriating' my parents' old and unused iPad 1 so that I can watch Netflix and Plex in bed. I know it only runs iOS 5 and is therefore limited in terms of apps, but how have you found the streaming experience on it? Is it adequate?
Video streaming supported formats should be no problem whatever the iPad's age. Mobile devices have dedicated hardware for video decoding so video playback should work just fine. The interface (loading posters, metadata, etc) may be slow, though.

Tsepz

macrumors 68040
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Congrats man :)

Loving mine to, the slimness and light weight makes it such a pleasure to use for longer periods. :)

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
That's a great story. I wish I was like that. That is so much more impressive than grabbing the latest and greatest every year.

I got the iPad Pro 12.9" with the intention due to the price of keeping it longer than the average iPad. I'm lucky if I keep them past warranty expiry.

Kudos to you!

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Wow, it must have been an awesome experience to go from the iPad 1 to a device as powerful as the Air 2. I tend to upgrade with each new release and I'm usually impressed by the performance improvements.

But to take such a seriously massive leap in power must have been something to behold. If you lasted this long with something as weak as an iPad 1, your Air 2 will serve you well for many years.