Just upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Woodcrest64, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Wow! What a difference !! I finally upgraded my iPad 1 with 16gb from 2010 to a 64gb Air 2.

Going from 256mb of memory to 2gb makes a big difference along with the single core A4 cpu to a 3 core A8X. The screen too is a huge improvement and it's incredibly light ! Safari doesn't crash and it loads pages instantly compared to the iPad 1 .

Hoping this will last me and my kids 6+ years like the iPad 1 :)

2. gobikerider macrumors 65832

gobikerider

That's awesome that you held out that long. The Air 2 is great, device Congratulations I wish there were more people like you that used the iPad as long as you did. What did you use it for? I couldn't imagine doing my daily work on the first iPad.

3. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I used the iPad 1 with the BBC news app, tapatalk, Twitter , tune in radio, YouTube , gmail, Flickr , fleedly and Netflix . My kids use Netflix and a few learning apps and kid games . I use safari now with the Air 2 . Safari would crash a lot on the old iPad though Mecrury browser did fair a bit better.

4. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I upgraded from the Air 1 to the Air 2 and am also thrilled with it! The screen is lovely, the sound is amazing & I sure don't miss Safari tabs constantly reloading!

My friend has the original iPad & I don't know how you have held out so long with it?

5. Skika macrumors 68030

How did you you not go crazy using an ipad 1 for so long? how much did you sell your ipad for and for how much did you bought the new one?

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Congrats! I just upgraded to the Air 2 -- from the horrible iPad 3 and it was a huge, huge improvement. I may give in to temptation and exchange it for a Pro.

7. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I still have the iPad 1 16gb for Netflix. The iPad 1 was pretty stable except for Safari. A lot of the new sites are pretty heavy with JavaScript and the iPad 1 doesn't handle that well. But the apps worked good for the most part . I could not get any app updates or OS updates anymore but it managed fine for what it could do. I tend to consume most of my news or media through apps which faired much better than using Safari.

I never went crazy per say as we have two MacBooks in the house for work. I got the Air 2 because my boys are 2 & 4 and I wanted to get newer apps for them for education. I could of got a mini 2 or an Air 1 but I got $50 off ($549 CDN) for the Air 2 and figured with the 2gb of ram this 'may' last me better than iPad 1 in terms of OS updates and app updates. I don't upgrade as often as other people. My Wife and I's MacBook Pro are from 2011 and 2012 and we won't replace those until they break or I can't do something on them any longer.

8. Bricks44 macrumors newbie

Bricks44

Congrats on the new purchase. Got my Air 2 in early December and it's an amazing device.

9. r6mile macrumors 6502

I am thinking of 'appropriating' my parents' old and unused iPad 1 so that I can watch Netflix and Plex in bed. I know it only runs iOS 5 and is therefore limited in terms of apps, but how have you found the streaming experience on it? Is it adequate?

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Video streaming supported formats should be no problem whatever the iPad's age. Mobile devices have dedicated hardware for video decoding so video playback should work just fine. The interface (loading posters, metadata, etc) may be slow, though.

11. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Congrats man :)

Loving mine to, the slimness and light weight makes it such a pleasure to use for longer periods. :)

12. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

That's a great story. I wish I was like that. That is so much more impressive than grabbing the latest and greatest every year.

I got the iPad Pro 12.9" with the intention due to the price of keeping it longer than the average iPad. I'm lucky if I keep them past warranty expiry.

Kudos to you!

13. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Wow, it must have been an awesome experience to go from the iPad 1 to a device as powerful as the Air 2. I tend to upgrade with each new release and I'm usually impressed by the performance improvements.

But to take such a seriously massive leap in power must have been something to behold. If you lasted this long with something as weak as an iPad 1, your Air 2 will serve you well for many years.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Going from the iPad 1 to the Air 2 is like going from walking on all fours to the wheel.

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan