Just upgraded HDD..but..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SSpiro, Dec 25, 2011.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Just upgraded the stock HDD in my MBP 15" C2D. Had a stock 120GB 5400. Bought a used 320 Scorpio Black 7200. Installed in the machine, no issues.

Trying to boot it up to a SL install DVD to install the OS, but it's not working. I've tried so many steps and variations to get it to boot to DVD but nothing.

• Tried holding down C. Stays on the gray screen with nothing on it, and after about 2 minutes goes to the folder icon.
    • Tried holding down command. Same result.
    • Tried holding down option, to get to the boot option menu. Same result.
    • Tried not doing anything. Same result.
    Touchpad is working, because at one point the mouse cursor showed, but nothing further happened. I'm assuming that since the touchpad is working, the keyboard must be working also right?

What else can I do? Desperately need my MBP back :(

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have an enclosure for your old drive?

Boot from that and use CCC to clone your old setup over?

B

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

No enclosure.

I really wanted a fresh, new, clean install. SL was running so buggy lately and just haven't been overly happy. Was looking forward to a fresh install.

Is there anything i can do differently to get the install cd to load?? It just sits there spinning for 2 minutes and ejects.

And even if i did have an enclosure, how would i boot to it if i cant get to the boot menu?

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

This is what I would try. Put the old drive back in and see if it still works. If it doesn't work you have other issues.

If it does work, put the SL dvd in the slot drive, restart your OS, holding down the option key and see if you get the boot select screen to pop up. It it doesn't come up you have other issues.

Ideally you would install the new drive. Hold down the option key and boot off of the SL dvd. You then use disk utility to initialize the new drive and then you can do a clean install of SL.

5. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Got it working. Took it all apart, and I *THINK* the keyboard cable had come undone. I had hooked it back on, and decided to check it again before screwing everything shut and it was unhooked again. Reconnected, turned it on, and all was good.

Thanks guys.

6. Robyr macrumors regular

7. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Nope. I don't use reddit.