Just upgraded Macbook Pro HDD, possible issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aegelward, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

This week i just upgraded my MBP to a 7200RPM Seagate Momentus drive.

The drive works great, but i've noticed far, far more noise from my system, a constant low whispering noise, when i put my ear to the palmrest, i notice that the drive sounds like it's constantly spun up and when i put it on my desk there is a vibration from the drive.

There seems to be a detrimental effect to battery life as well, my usual quote of 5-6 hours of battery life has dropped to roughly 4 and a half, several forum posts practically guaranteed there would be no affect o battery life from upgrading to a higher RPM drive

I cloned OSX over onto the drive, is there any possibility that it's managing the disc performance improperly?

Also, is there any kind of acoustic padding that i can possibly use to keep the drive quiet?

2. cube macrumors G5

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's not abnormal for 7200rpm drives. If you want silentness, go for 5400rpm

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

There is a simple fix for this. Forget it and stop looking for problems.

5. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Everything you listed are normal. Get rid of your OCD or I guess going back to 5400 rpm will cure the OCD.

6. Aegelward thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps i should have gone for 5400RPM, i suppose i'm only irritated because several posts practically guaranteed no alteration in battery life or noise.

Pity there isn't any kind of acoustic tape i can get like the mac mini's hard drive to at least suppress the noise a little.

Oh well, i primarily upgraded because i intend to hand down my machine to my brother when he leaves for college, and get a higher end model for myself when they come out, so i'm only going to keep this for a little while longer.

-
    Incidentally, considering the spectacular amount of whining that happens on here, i'm intensely amused by the calls of just looking for problems and OCD (hello 20 imac returns)

7. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

I installed a WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm HDD into my wife's MBP 13" and it's pretty figgin quiet. I never hear it over her yelling. j/k... it is quiet though.

If you want silent, need to go with an SSD.