just upgraded my hdd, now the case is slightly off... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aye5882, May 24, 2008.

1. aye5882 macrumors member

hey guys. for those of you that upgraded your mbp hard drives, did you find it hard to close the top of the case all the way? i screwed everything down but there's still a slight gap in between the bottom case and the top case right above the dvd drive. i tried pushing it down but it won't stick.

any suggestions?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's "normal" after opening the system, mine even came back from the AppleCentre like that after I had the drive replaced. It's been like that for about a year now and hasn't affected the operation of the system at all, but no amount of pushing and poking has closed the gap.

3. a4abt macrumors regular

Same for me. I upgraded my HDD a few months ago and the keyboard lid is also slightly off above the DVD slot. Nothing too bothering!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I took the computer apart again and pushed it down while screwing the screws in. Helped a little, but not much.

5. kwfl macrumors 6502

You didnt press hard enought, Yes you will think it will break but it wont. You need to push it even harder especially if the latch does not close well.

i had the same problem and the people ar KRCS pushed it harder and the case faces came together.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

there should be some clips that you have to snap back in place on the front.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Can't say I have the same problem, i've changed the HD twice and it's still closes just fine!! :rolleyes:

8. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Likewise. First time was a 7200 100G Hitachi, then a 5400 320G WD. The edges of my case are fine. I think you just have to apply more pressure to get the clips to work properly.

MacDann

9. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Got Photos ?

Is anybody able to post photos of the gap ? Curious.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I apologise for the poor quality pictures, they're from my cellphone, but you can still see the gap.

Attached Files:

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Could it be...

Could it be that you have "bent" the Aluminum beyond it's bending point...?? Technically called Plastic Deformation.. (Elastic Deformation means it bends but not so much it can't be returned to Original shape... kind of like a Car dent that can be "popped out" instead of Body Shop work...)

I have seen posts where "HD replacers" have suggested "stuffing the DVD Slot with some items to fill so that the snapping down of Top Lid to make the Clips hold will NOT bend the small Aluminum piece downward... this is likely what has happened I think!! :(

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have opened up both my macbook pro's 15" and they both did that, I reopened and everything clicks in place around the case, except for the left hand side. I tried pushing harder on one machine as advised. But no joy. Here are some close up macro shots to demonstrate.

Attached Files: