just upgraded my mini (diy) and have a problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by evillageprowler, Mar 29, 2009.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I upgraded both the RAM (from 1x1gb to 2x2gb) and the 120gb stock hdd to 500gb wd scorpio blue. Now the fan inside is very noisy. Any ideas what might be the problem?

BTW, when replacing the stock hdd, I broken a cable that was glued onto the front of the stock hitachi hdd and running along the body to the connector card. I accidentally pulled the wires from the head where it attachs to the connector card. I re-inserted the wires back, but since there were two wires in this cable, I'm sure I got the polarity correct. Not even sure what this cable does. ifixit didn't really tell much about this cable, and not even how to remove it.

Any suggestions on how to understand and fix my fan noise problem would be appreciated. Also, what is this cable?

TIA,

EVP

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could have broken the heat sensor for the drive, hence the fan noise.

3. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

That was my fear too. What happens if I detach that cable completely? It is attached to the hdd via mild adhesive but otherwise has no electrical connectivity to the hdd.

Or, maybe I can reverse the polarity of the wires.

EVP

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It doesn't need to be connected to the hard drive electrically. As long as its touching, that's fine. Reverse the wires and see what happens. Its probably a diode so it will work only one way.

5. jwhazel macrumors regular

I assume you've reinstalled the OS? When the mini starts up usually the fan runs full blast until the OS loads. I don't think the mini cares whether the hdd sensor is plugged in or not, at least mine didn't.

6. bamf macrumors 6502

Is the fan running non stop all the time? There is a small cable in the front of the mini that if it is not attached, then the fan runs non stop. I made the mistake of missing that one time I did an upgrade on my last gen mini. I haven't opened up a new one, but that may be your issue...

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

the sensor is in the lower right-hand portion of this picture
    [​IMG]

Right here:
    [​IMG]

If you forget to connect it, the fans will run full blast. that is the most common mistake in upgrading the mac mini.

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

The first time I opened my mini, I forgot to reconnect the fan cable too. It might look like it is in, but you really have to push it down.

9. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

problem fixed, but got a new one

It was the matter of the heat sensor cable, which I damaged. I was able to repair it by properly re-inserting the fine wires back into the cap (took three tries) and re-attaching everything.

My remaining issue now is that the 2gb dimm in bank1 isn't recognized. I'll deal with that next weekend. For now, I'm reasonably relieved and pleased with the results.

I attached two MiniMax disks (mirrored) via FW and will proceed to migrate my iTunes library onto it.

Thanks to all for replying...

EVP