Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
My 2011 13" MacBook Pro I bought for university was running pretty slow, so I ended up replacing it last November with a 27" iMac Retina. The MacBook has been sitting in my room for the best part of a year not being used, other than when I backed up the files on it to an external HDD.

As a bit of a project, I decided I'd try it with a SSD, as I wasn't exactly using it. Ordered a Sandisk 120GB SSD for like £30, and a 64GB flash drive to make a bootable drive for the OS - didn't need one with that much space, just figured it could come in handy - and swapped everything round today.

All I can say is wow. The MacBook with the HDD booted in about 1:30-2mins, with the new SSD it was about 15secs. Default apps load pretty much instantly and the App Store's speed is a vast improvement even though it's running off my slow internet (max 8mbs).

Not going to use it for intensive stuff, got my iMac for that, but for general web browsing, etc. it'll be great.

Overall very pleased.

Reactions: baypharm

KimUsername

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Ontario, Canada
My 2011 13" MacBook Pro I bought for university was running pretty slow, so I ended up replacing it last November with a 27" iMac Retina. The MacBook has been sitting in my room for the best part of a year not being used, other than when I backed up the files on it to an external HDD.

As a bit of a project, I decided I'd try it with a SSD, as I wasn't exactly using it. Ordered a Sandisk 120GB SSD for like £30, and a 64GB flash drive to make a bootable drive for the OS - didn't need one with that much space, just figured it could come in handy - and swapped everything round today.

All I can say is wow. The MacBook with the HDD booted in about 1:30-2mins, with the new SSD it was about 15secs. Default apps load pretty much instantly and the App Store's speed is a vast improvement even though it's running off my slow internet (max 8mbs).

Not going to use it for intensive stuff, got my iMac for that, but for general web browsing, etc. it'll be great.

Overall very pleased.

Have you turned TRIM on.

To enable TRIM, first save all your open documents as this will reboot your Mac.

1) launch Terminal.

2) Type "sudo trimforce enable".

3) Confirm that you want to enable trim.

4) Reboot your Mac.

To verify that TRIM is enabled, click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen. Choose "About this Mac" -> "System Report" -> "SATA/SATA Express" and look for the entry "Trim Support". It should say "yes" if trim has been enabled.

Kim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.