Just upgraded to Final Cut Pro X...

danhats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
on my mid 2009 15 inch Macbook Pro and the render speeds and video playback are horribly slow.

I have maxed out the RAM (8gb) and have a 750gb SSHD installed and all my programs (inc. Final Cut) load up pretty quick. I have played around with the settings and tried editing using the proxy media but it doesn't make any difference.

I'm thinking about fitting a 250gb SSD and storing my files on an external HDD instead.

Do you think this will help or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to a desktop?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
on my mid 2009 15 inch Macbook Pro and the render speeds and video playback are horribly slow.

I have maxed out the RAM (8gb) and have a 750gb SSHD installed and all my programs (inc. Final Cut) load up pretty quick. I have played around with the settings and tried editing using the proxy media but it doesn't make any difference.

I'm thinking about fitting a 250gb SSD and storing my files on an external HDD instead.

Do you think this will help or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to a desktop?
Go for an iMac or a 15" rMBP.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Bite the bullet the old girl gave everything she has, but at this point its not enough. If you have mobility needs, the 15" rMBP is a great machine. If you really don't need a laptop now, the iMac is a nice machine in of its own right.