Just upgraded to iPad 2...worth it I guess, right?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I just upgraded to an iPad 2 WiFi 16gb. Bought it at Best Buy (they surprisingly had a few in stock today). Got a $50 GC from the family for father's day and with my Reward Zone Silver points, it'll get me an extra ~$13 in RZ certificate points.

I upgraded from an iPad 1 3G 16gb. I had bought it for $350 and sold it for $400 (yeah, pretty good to make money after using something, right)? I never even activated the 3G on it so I figured WiFi should be fine for me. Was nice to have that 3G option if I ever needed it though, but if I'm out and about with the iPad, I'll always have my iPhone 4 on me as well. GPS is a nice feature in the 3G versions, but again, I have Navigon on my iPhone 4 anyway.

I don't really care much (yet) about the camera in the iPad 2 since my iPhone 4 camera is way better. So in the end, I figure my upgrade from my iPad 1 was this:

Got a little thinner
    Got a little ligher
    Got a little faster
    Got a camera that I may not use
    Got a little newer
    Same 16gb space
    Lost GPS capability
    Lot 3G option

With the $50 flip profit and $50 GC, I figure it then cost me about $80 (w/tax) to upgrade to my new iPad 2. Seems about a fair upgrade price considering the pro/con list above, right? Am I forgetting any other key features? Thanks!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

3. ihatephish macrumors regular

To me it's worth it for the faster, lighter, and thinner aspects. No brained for $80!

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Why do you hate Phish? They're awesome.:confused:

5. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

6. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

This weekend I upgraded as well. I've decided to give my mother my iPad 1, and I would upgrade to iPad 2. While I thought iPad 1 was well, I feel that iPad 2 is more suited for the tasks the iPad is becoming known for. Another affinity I have is the smart cover.. I love this thing, it feels like it's part of the device, only not.

Part of me feels like I should have stayed put, but that apple itch, and most importantly being able to give my mom her first computer pushed me over the edge.

7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yeah, in the end, I think I'll find that the upgrade was worth it. I am enjoying it.

Now I need to find a good case. I'm reading through all the threads. I really just wish Apple made the same case they had for iPad 1 for iPad 2. I have it in it right now and it's of course a bit loose. Smart cover...I don't know...I want some back protection too. Maybe a BSE skin for the back coupled with a Smartcover. We'll see.

8. ihatephish macrumors regular

I don't. Just a name I've kept from the phish boards I'm on. There was a time where I wasn't happy with them though, obviously. Just glad trey's happy and healthy again.

9. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Just got the ipad 2 as well

Same here I just bought the ipad 2 on Saturday. I am still keeping my iPad 1 as I will use it as a ebook reader in my bedroom. I wanted an ipad for traveling around with, my iPad 1 is the WI-FI only version. I was planning on getting another 32GB but all the store had left was a 64GB, it was an open box so I got it for $40 less. so it only cost a $50 to double the storage, and I am well pleased now I can put some movies on the iPad 2 as well as books and TV episodes for viewing on vacation etc.

10. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Aw, man....I was looking at the back of my new iPad 2 today and I see, while tiny, a slight little scratch on the back aluminum. I know I know, I'm picky and stuff. But I haven't even taken it out of the plastic while using it (only the flap for the bottom dock) and this teeny tiny scratch is in a different area.

Think I should take it back? If so, do I have to take it to the Best Buy store where I bought it (this was the last one of this model yesterday) or can I go to an Apple Store hoping they may have more stock?

Or just live with it?

11. Surely Guest

Surely

^^This.

They're not going to give you a replacement because of a tiny little scratch.

Are you sure the scratch isn't on the plastic wrap?