Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
On the flip side:

‘Raise to wake’ has become so efficient, I don’t even have to ‘flick’ my wrist anymore. Literally, the sense of motion lights up before I can even physically put my eyes on the display, That’s how perfect it is. Now, when RTW was first introduced, it wasn’t as sensitive and it had a pause where you had to kind of wait for the display to illuminate, but as it’s matured over the course of watchOS, I haven’t thought twice about AOD given RTW sensitivity.

There are a lot of times where it doesn't work though, due to the inability to move your arm/wrist in the certain motion to trigger it. Holding onto an overhead bar while commuting, at the gym for certain exercises, riding bikes etc. Basically, anything you're doing with your left arm is impeded by the action of having to twist and raise your arm. Sometimes you just can't get enough motion to wake the screen and that's when you either have to use the other arm to tap the screen, or even resort to the nose tap.

ACE83

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Buffalo, NY
AOD is everything for me.

During workouts and being able to see your data without breaking routine...holding the baby, walking the dog, in the car - being able to check the time, weather, complications, etc without having to do anything is great.

Just the look alone is improved by having a watch face on all the time makes it worth it.

kartana

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Just glancing at the watch to see the time without having to tap or raise your wrist is fantastic, especially in social situations etc. I could never live without it anymore since I started with a Galaxy Watch which had AoD long before Apple.

Reactions: MisterSavage

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I just got an Alum S5 (replaced an Alum S2) and I agree that while AOD is not a good enough reason to upgrade - especially from a 3/4 - once you get used to it it is very nice. Does make it feel more like an actual watch. (I do switch between the S4 SS and the S5 Alum, but tend to wear the S5 more - even though the S4 is my cellular one and the S5 isn't.)

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I just got an Alum S5 (replaced an Alum S2) and I agree that while AOD is not a good enough reason to upgrade - especially from a 3/4 - once you get used to it it is very nice. Does make it feel more like an actual watch. (I do switch between the S4 SS and the S5 Alum, but tend to wear the S5 more - even though the S4 is my cellular one and the S5 isn't.)
This how I feel. I got the S5 from none and after researching think I could have been ok with 3. Bigger screen is probably the thing I like the most about 5 over 3. All the reasons people gave in favor of AOD were great, but none really apply to me. If I am at home, there is a clock in every room but the bathroom, and if I am walking, I would have to turn the watch to see it anyhow. And there is a clock in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.