Just upgraded to SL - Adium cannot connect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Sep 22, 2009.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Well, don't tell me i should be posting this on Adium's forums because the guys there aren't really helpfull. i just upgraded to snow leopard, and adium just can't connect. I replaced the beta version with the normal one, but still nothing. I made sure it's allowed in both little snitch and OSX firewall, even turned both off, but nothing. Anyone had any similar problems?

2. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Solved :)
    To anyone that's interested, for some weird reason SL doesn't automatically read the DNS servers of your router (or just my router??). I added them manually and it worked like a charm :)

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Are you using DHCP to get an address for your Mac or do you manually set your address? If you manually set your address, then you do have to manually set your DNS servers. But if you use DHCP and you are not learning your DNS servers, that is a bug either with Snow Leopard or with the configuration of your router. I don't use DHCP on any of my SL machines yet, but I can see a need for working DHCP before my MBP gets upgraded, so I hope this gets resolved.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I think if SL had issues with getting the DNS servers, we would have seen more posts much earlier. Plus, if it was a DNS issue, Adium wouldn't be the only app having issues.

Tex

5. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

No i'm not using DCHP. In leopard, there were 2 DNS servers added by default, and grayed out. Anything i would add would be black coloured. Now i just had to manually add them. And why would you use DCHP? The only reason i can think of is to get that freaking iphone remote app working because it doesn't work without DCHP... :p

6. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

And actually it wasn't just adium, any IM app couldn't connect. I'm not sure this has to be a problem though, just different behavior i think

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I don't think there are some "default" DNS servers. I think that the grayed ones are the ones added by dhcp.

what about web browsers ? Did you start this topic from your SL ?

8. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

1) Of course i didn't mean that there are any default DNS servers, what i meant is that without ever connecting with DCHP to that router, OSX automatically found those 2 DNS entries and put them in for me, thats why i said "default"

2) Browsers, software update, and pretty much anything internet related worked fine without the DNS servers added. Only IM applications didn't, but it is normal i guess

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok

Hmmm then I really doubt that it was a DNS issue :) Without DNS no application could resolve domain names.

But glad that you solved it though ;)

Tex