Just used 1gb of data in 1 hour of Google Play usage. How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MrXiro, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Today I uploaded a podcast that was 170mb up to my Google Play so I could stream it. I went for a walk on my lunch break and listened to the podcast for about an hour and when I came back my phone reported that I used nearly 1gb (987mb) in Google Play... WTF? My limit is only 2.5gb for the month so I'm a bit peeved...

Can anyone explain to me how this could have happened?

2. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Someone else messed with your phone while u were taking your walk...

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, but this is the poster child post for bigger storage...

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Actually I don't have iTunes at my work computer (not allowed to install it along with anything else useful like AIM, but Spotify works for some reason) so I couldn't load it onto the phone. It's a podcast/radio show that isn't on Apple's podcast app. So since I wanted to listen to it today I drop it into Google Play and streamed it.

I've done this before and it never used this much data so I'm not sure what the heck happened.
    The only change is that I switched from At&t to Tmobile this weekend...

----------

The phone was with me... I was streaming Google Play off of it.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

That really stinks! I thought T-Mobile didn't "charge" for music streaming on Spotify / Pandora / Google Play?

In the past on my Android (Galaxy S3), Google Play seemed to eat a LOT of data for me, so I ended up downloading most of my albums to the SD card rather than streaming.

That seems excessive for a 170mb file, however.

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Google Play isn't on the list yet... some time before the end of the year though they claim.

Yeah it's s 3 hour show... and I only got an hour in... imagine if I would have listened to the whole show... though it could have had the whole show buffered 3 times... What peeves me is that I was on Wifi before hand and sporadically during my walk so it should have downloaded most of the show to begin with.

7. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

Tap Downloaded on the sidebar and I bet you will see cached music

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

There is downloaded songs on there but not the one I was listening to. I tried to DL that one too... but it wouldn't go through for some reason. I think my work has some sort of firewall preventing me from moving that file into my cache... but even still it should have only been 170mb, not 987mb!