Just using MBA at home? Sell or keep ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by oström, Oct 24, 2011.

1. oström macrumors newbie

Hi, I bought the MBA 2011 when it came out, I've noticed that I never use it outside my home :p Probably because I find iPhone and iPad enough when not at home. I've my MBA connected to a 24" screen but lately I think I should sell it and buy the iMac instead, I really like the MBA design and that it is portable but I almost never use it like a laptop, how do you guys use your mba? is it maybe better to buy an iMac instead of keeping the MBA?

2. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Why buy anything? Is there something you want to do that you can't with your current setup?

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I prefer a laptop because I can use it on my bed, on the couch, on the counter, while I am traveling or my office.

If you always use it in the same place you might as well get an iMAC or another desktop computer.

4. oström thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I also have a PC which I almost never use because I rarely play any games, sooo I guess I don't need more performance, just figured it would be more slick looking having an iMac instead of one 24" and cables to the MBA :p

I did that before I bought the iPad 2 :p

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Then if you got the money to change to an iMac go for it, or upgrade when the life of your MBA is done.

6. Xikum macrumors 6502

I have both an iMac and a MBA, so maybe I can help.

Personally, I love both my Apple computers and wouldn't want to give any of them up. I use my MBA for University everyday. When I'm at home though, I always use my iMac. The screen is terrific, although it is super glossy (if that bothers you; personally I like glossy screens). The wireless keyboard and magic mouse (or trackpad if you pick that) are great, and I feel that Apple really did a good job with the gestures on the mouse; its the first machine of its class to have such a feature. Also, the iMac is more powerful; quad-core i5 with a dedicated GPU is a lot better than the MBAs dual core and HD 3000. This is a really big upgrade if you ever play any games, or do intensive work.

Overall, if your only using your MBA at home, I'd recommend the iMac. You should be able to get 80-90% of your money back on the MBA, assuming there is no damage. And because the iMac is cheaper than the 13" MBA, hopefully that should be enough to buy it. Just remember that theres no going back, and once you get rid of the portability of the MBA...well good luck carrying your iMac about with you ;).

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I love how everyone says you can get 80 to 90% back on Apple computers, I bought a Mac Mini Server less than a year ago...I ended up never using it. I started trying to sell it for $700 kept lowering it, now I am down to $600. LOL WTF.

The thing is brand new (still under warranty) and I can't get 60% what I paid for it.

8. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind this is the mac mini server, not (in my opinion) a very popular apple product.

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah, was a bad move in my book. I don't know why I went with the mini. I realized afterward that I am portable computer person. I booted this thing up twice, and I used a dell with WHS for my server needs.

Oh well, that's a grand down the drain. I am just going to put it on ebay and see what I can get.

10. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Having a similar setup, I whole heartedly agree. Keep in mind you have the iPad for on the go, which (obviously) can't do everything the MBA can, but it can handle most light tasks.

11. scarred macrumors 6502a

I usually leave my Air at home as well (13 inch). However, it travels to every room in the house. From kitchen table to family room, to basement, to outside deck, to office, the macbook air works everywhere. Unlike other notebooks (too bulky to move around) and certainly desktops, I don't mind having this wherever.

And when I do travel with it, well, that's a joy in itself.

I would not replace it with a desktop.

12. summitRun macrumors regular

How about just dumping the iPad instead? The MBA is a much more productive (or perhaps versatile is a better word) machine for on the go and you would still have your iPhone for access to iOS... Give the MBA a full shot at winning your affection for 6 months and if it doesnt iPad3 will be just around the corner.

13. Xikum macrumors 6502

You bought a Mac Mini Server. What do you expect? Its a very niche market; the MacBook Pros/Airs, iMac and iPad ranges have terrific resale value, because everybody wants them.

Nobody wants a Mac Mini Server.

14. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

If you are referring to the cheapskates on macrumors you are correct. The mini server is a great machine. Just ebay it, you will get way more than here for it.

15. 802.11mac, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

802.11mac macrumors member

802.11mac

this is the main reason i bought a Macbook Air. :)

16. calvol macrumors 6502a

I vote keep the Air. I use mine in all rooms of the house!

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

Sell the air, monitor, and your PC and buy an iMac. No sense in having things you don't use that only depreciate in value.

18. oström thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the great advice, I'm still not sure what to do tho, I guess I should try selling the MBA and if I get a good offer iMac is probably better for me...