Just Venting frustration with iTunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueflame, Aug 6, 2007.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Why does it handle video so poorly!?

I want to be able to keep my movies on a seperate drive from my music, in my MOVIES folder no less. I also want to be able to download content and tv shows from itunes and have it store in various places depending on content type.

I have been told to use symlinks to create virtual folders to the external drive, but its a pain. Also, this is for my laptop, connected to my AE router and a 500 gig, when not in range of the data itunes kinda spazzes out.

I really think itunes. the best MUSIC player in the world, should either get a lot better at seperating file types, or be broken down into a different app. Showtime, isnt that the name of the new widget, I can imagine that being a movie program name.

btw, i have encoded 7 entire series, and all 300 of my dvds, and not to mention all my itunes purchases. just to let you know.
    A

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I use frontrow...

one of the big pluses of apple is the integration. it works with my everyhting. apple tv, iphone, ipod, laptop. router, etc... i have all of those things. its great
    I just want it to work the way apple works. which up until itunes became the holy grail of windows converting, was a music player. i guess i wish they kept it simpler in a way.
    I almost dont listen to music. just barely. i want more movie focus?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iTunes and Quicktime are terrible when it comes to video playback. It took Perian just to make Quicktime bearable. I don't even want to start on how slow using Quicktime is to encode something.

What about FrontRow then?

5. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

yea whats with that? why would handbrake be much faster than something APPLE is selling as a pro tool.
    I use frontrow on my computer and apple tv in the living room. I need to to be through itunes becuase frontrow needs to access that content from somewhere, and itunes has to know where thart somewhere is. which is counter kinda to my point, becuase itunes ONLY lets you set 1 location for media.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I beleive if you hold down CTRL while dragging your video into iTunes the video will stay where it is and a record will be added to iTunes

7. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I don't quite understand why people feel the need to muck around with their folders at all.

I have a folder called "iTunes Library" and that's where my iTunes library is. I have absolutely no reason to go in there, and I don't. If iTunes wants to sort my music by friggin' file size I don't care. It does what it needs ot do to work when I open iTunes.

It's like my car. The junk under the hood makes it go. That's all I know, and that's all I care to know. If it doesn't go, I gotta call in help.

I access my Music through the app itself. I'm honestly curious what people are doing that they need to root around in iTunes' guts on such a seemingly regular basis.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

usually...

Usually, I would agree with you, but what about those of us with music/video collections larger than our internal hard drives? I have a powerbook with 80 gigs, but a music/video collection about four times that.

I love the simplicity of iTunes, but it isn't perfect for everybody.