Just want the iPod, trying to make sure...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pina-p9, Sep 21, 2007.

1. pina-p9 macrumors newbie

pina-p9

Hey guys hows it going?

Well, as many with a non AT&T/T-Mobile, etc. contract, I was really hoping the iPod Touch would be the iPhone without the phone. But the Touch has just really dissapointed me all around. Yeah the screen problem has been fixed, but the touch just seems like a lost cause to me.

So now I'm looking into buying an iPhone, and just simply looking to bypass activation and just use all of its great features; except for the phone of course.

BUT, being the idiot that I am, i updated my iTunes without even realising that some people seem to be having problems and some iPhones have been bricked. But then I hear that just bypassing activation is safe, so whats the deal here? Can it still be done safely?

Thanks for all the help guys, just trying to make sure :cool:

2. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I am in your situation but I haven't bought a touch or iphone yet. I think that the independence program is ok with the latest itunes but the real problem is that as soon as apple updates iphone firmware to 1.1.1 which is any minute now...many think fake activation is not going to work. the ipod touch so far is "unhackable" and many think the latest iphone will have similar firmware. so if you can get a current firmware iphone asap, do it. I am afraid to order online as my phone may be too new and I can't activate it.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

just got my iPhone last night. Activated with independence just fine.

4. pina-p9 thread starter macrumors newbie

pina-p9

Really? Which iTunes version do you have?

And you live in Pasadena? Cool. I go to the PCC there lol:)

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i'm using 7.4.1

i've never been hesitant to upgrade software. but now that there's the potential of a bricked iphone, i'll definitely wait a while on any updates.

6. sanford macrumors 65816

Remember, even if you pull it off, you may never be able to upgrade iPhones or iTunes again. Somebody usually develops a workaround at some point, but they could still break something at any time.