Just Want To Make Sure Before I Buy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linden, Mar 12, 2009.

1. linden macrumors regular

linden

Alright, So here is the story! I live in Canada. And I want to buy a Used iPhone 3g over Ebay After I sell my 16 iPod touch for 250. Now, I am wondering. Will I have to make some sort of subscription for the Phone to funtion? I mean. When the iPhones first came out dident they needed to be Sync to the Computer, And you could only get it working if you paid for a 3 year subscription. All I want this iPhone for right now is the normal funtion. Not Any SMS or Phone quite yet. So when I get this iPhone will It just work right out of the box, Or will I need to pay for it to be activated. Hope that makes sence!

--Linden

2. fastgraham macrumors member

If you sync it to itunes, you can use it as an ipod touch, just go into settings and activate airplane mode, this turns off the cellular, I just did this for a friend of mine.
    When you are ready to activate it, go to the AT&T store and then you will have phone, sms, etc

3. linden thread starter macrumors regular

linden

Cool Thank you!

One last thing. I have a cell phone with an activated SIM card on a pay as you go plan. Can I just take the SIM card out of the iPhone and put the one from my old Cell in the iPhone and now the iPhone will be set on a Pay-As-You-Go plan?

4. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

ATT? CANADA! Why would he want to use an iPhone as an iPod Touch when he already has one?

If you are using Rogers/Fido, be sure to block data and change the APN address, but you can still use Wi-Fi for internet. Otherwise if you want to use data like email or web-surfing with your carrier, get a monthly plan.

5. dr.rosenrosen macrumors newbie

Who's your PAYG sim with? You may have to unlock the phone unless you buys a Rogers locked phone. If the phone is locked to Rogers, you can use a Rogers, 7-11, or Petro-Can PAYG sim right away. The latter two don't allow for any data use, so no issues there.

6. linden thread starter macrumors regular

linden

Im going to use a Fido Sim Card. And Ill use Prepaid cards to surf the web and Email and stuff. So it will be all good then?

7. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

You can use the Fido SIM card, but what you said after, NO NO NO! Read my post above PLEASE, it will kill you and you will receive 2000 dollar bills when you get charged for 3 cents /kb. ALL US iPHONE USERS PLEASE STOP GIVING THIS MAN FALSE INFO!

8. dr.rosenrosen macrumors newbie

You'll need to buy a Fido locked iPhone to use a Fido sim, OR be willing to jailbreak and unlock if you buy any other iPhone.

I'll defer to someone else on the data question. I use a Petro Canada sim card (speak out wireless) in my iPhone and they don't allow any access to data at all. I just use wifi.