Just want to use Iphone 2G as a phone - using a sim without a dataplan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcamm, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mcamm macrumors newbie

Hi have a Iphone 2G that I just upgraded to a 3GS. My 2G is standard ie not unlocked or jailbroken.

I would like to give my 2G to my kid. I want them to be able to make phone calls but only be able to access the internet functions via WIFI (ie I am not getting them a data plan).

Rght now my kid has a cheapo samsung phone with AT&T. Can I just take the SIM out of their Samsung and put it in the Iphone 2G or is there something else I have to do to make it work?

2. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I'm pretty sure that this is not possible.

Because of the way the iPhone OS works, an internet connection is an integral part of how it functions and you cannot disable that relationship. You can always try and call AT&T and beg and plead for someone to remove the data plan...and you might even be successful....but you won't be happy, because the first time your kid hits the safari/mail/app store/iTunes/youtube/weather/etc button, the iphone will connect with the internet regardless of the data plan it's on. You would then by charged on as a pay per use and it would get much more expensive than just $20/month.

Best of luck to you. Just remember, that if you DO decide to go ahead and get them the data plan, the original 2G iphone should still be eligable for the $20 data plan and not the $30 data plan on the 3G phones.

3. derek320 macrumors member

He could jailbreak the phone and hide all of the apps that require the internet

EDIT: nevermind, then wifi would be useless

4. chox99 macrumors regular

Either Jailbreak and turn off Edge and change APN Settings.
    Or call ATT to remove data plan. They'll do it for you. It's definitely possible and easy.

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I can confirm. I have a jailbroken iPhone 2G running 3.0 in Vodafone.es with no data plan. My data settings are blank and I cannot access the internet without using WIFI.

6. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Yeah, just jailbreak it (unlock it) and call ATT and have them turn off all data access on the account. Should work anyway. I'm actually going to try doing this exact thing on my old 2G for my dad.

7. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I stand corrected...these guys are right, you can certainly do it but you have to jailbreak you phone.

However, I'm still rather certain that there is no clean way to do this an still use the official 3.0 from Apple.

8. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

When i got my 3GS ATT didnt no i had one and my 3G internet didnt work just my Calls and Texts. So i was using it without a data plan for a day until i called ATT

Yes you can jailbreak and unlock 2G iPhones i did it to mine yesterday. Download reds0w and both baseband uploaders from here

http://iphonefreakz.com/iphone-firmwares/

good to go.

9. euron8 macrumors newbie

I would recommend that you contact ATT to have internet usage blocked on that line.

On our daughter's non-iPhone line, we asked ATT to block all internet usage on it to avoid any per usage or overage fees from her trying to surf the net. She can try all she wants, her phone simply cannot access the internet now.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Can't you just (After you activate), call AT&T and be like "Yo, remove my data plan. Then block all incoming data to my phone"

11. wheelchairguy macrumors newbie

OOPS... I am sorry but I didn't read your question completely before replying, but someone might be able to use this article... sorry again.

If you want to use your original iPhone without a wireless service plane, this Apple KB article explains how... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

wheel

12. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

OK, I have a 2G and just upgraded to a 3GS, I want to put my 2G on my family plan for my daughter's phone. Right now she has no data and a cheapo phone. How can I get the data plan off my 2G and block all internet? If I jailbreak, and block EDGE, that would stop the internet, but how would the $20/month go away? I was thinking of jailbreaking my 2G, blocking EDGE, then just putting her SIM in, not even tell ATT. Would that work? Or would I need to tell them to remove the data plan?

13. ceehjayem macrumors regular

You can do that. If your son already has a sim card, you can pop in his sim into the iPhone 2G. Call AT&T to block data services so that no further charges will be made by accident. You can have full use of wifi services. Both my parents have that exact setup.