Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
is there a way i can get mobile me and leave all the email and sync features alone? after all this stuff i have been hearing i dont want my stuff to get messed up. however i would like to upload my website onto the nice features..

then again i can just buy a webhosting plan from 1n1 or lunarpages or something.. hmm well just wondering.

or shall i wait til lthey make a better mobileme?

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Of course you can use MobileMe with syncing anything, but don't think that everyone is having a problem with MobileMe wither, I think it is a great service and while it has had a few hiccups it has worked perfectly for me and a lot of others.

But if you just want hosting you can get hosting cheaper.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It's easily possible to turn off syncing. However, like mentioned above, it's much more expensive to opt for MobileMe based on JUST webhosting.

20GB Server space
200GB Data transfer limit
$100/year

Use Yahoo Webhosting or Go Daddy. They have much better deals if you require more data.

Cadium

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
If you are just looking for web hosting and nothing else, it would make more sense to just purchase a hosting plan from another provider. Not only will it cost you less, but you can also get features like PHP, MySQL, Ruby on Rails, etc.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I recommend these guys a lot, but ASmallOrange is the best there is. Solid hosting plans that won't buckle under high load.

MobileMe wouldn't really support a lot of complex scripting.

Cadium

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I recommend these guys a lot, but ASmallOrange is the best there is. Solid hosting plans that won't buckle under high load.

MobileMe wouldn't really support a lot of complex scripting.
A Small Orange are really great, excellent support that will work with you to meet your goals as far as the service is concerned, with great pricing.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Its pretty unlikely that anyone would host for free without ads (How could they make $$?) Basic hosting packages are not that expensive though. I pay maybe $ 120 a year and its not a basic package. I think you can get plans that are pretty reasonable for a bunch less.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
A Small Orange has a $25 a year package, though small, it works for me.

PM me if you need a coupon for ASO to save you a few more bucks.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I've a friend who is stuck between wanting MobileMe for syncing and dedicated web hosting for a little website he wants to make. MobileMe would be perfect because he can have all the benefits of syncing along with web hosting, however the one thing I can't seem to get an answer for is how e-mail would work with the domain he's using.

I know MobileMe will give you a @me.com e-mail address, but what if he wants to have e-mail addresses with his domain, ie. @mydomain.com? Is there any way MobileMe's hosting will allow for this, or is his only option to have a dedicated host in order to have e-mail with his domain name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.