just wanted to know why you guys bought mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chitranjan, Nov 7, 2014.

1. chitranjan macrumors newbie

I was searching over the internet why people use mac so thought I should ask those who have purchased it.

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

User experience. The retina screen is beautiful. The keyboard is a joy to type on, & OS X is pleasing to the eye. Minor things that overall make using a Mac more enjoyable than a Windows PC.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

The alternative is generally considered to be Windows, which has always sucked because Microsoft doesn't know how to make quality software. Apple has always had a knack for building good user experiences and I believe OS X has a solid foundation while Windows seems to be built of spaghetti code.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Back in 06 I much preferred OS X to Windows. Still do. But now I use mainly for Final Cut Pro X and Logic X

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I looked everywhere for a well-spec'd notebook in an elegant case, but all I found are very expensive windows-laptops. I decided to get a MacBook Pro because it is way better than all the rest.

I don't have a preference for OS X nor windows. I just realized that endnote doesn't play with Microsoft word, which is a bummer.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its the cross-platform integration and the resulting total user experience across laptop, tablet and phone that makes it the choice for me.

8. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Developer friendly. I can fire up terminal and it has same commands as Unix/Linux systems.

Look at most developer presentations on youtube: software engineers presenting their topic almost 90%+ of the time using macs.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Looking at Windows 7 and the tech preview of Windows 10 I would disagree (although Windows 8.x was a huge mis-step)

MS can make a good version of Windows. I do agree though that the base of OS X is more solid, although MS have certainly upped their game. The gap is probably the smallest it has ever bee.

To answer the OP's question, I bought Mac because I like them, Also when you compare the high end cost of the rMBP to a similar spec PC notebook (including the AL case and high res screen) there isn't much of a price difference.

10. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

UNIX+MSOffice = fantastic, secure all round solution

11. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Because I can run windows for work (OS X is useless for technical and construction software) and OS X for home (Windows is useless for the home environment).

Compact über powerful hardware for the right price too.

12. airattack111 macrumors member

The user interface. That's all it comes down to for me.

13. leman macrumors 604

Because its an affordable, low-maintanence Unix workstation with excellent performance, ergonomics, mobility and battery life.

Not to mention that its so well designed (from multiple perspectives), that working with it is a pleasure. Every time I have to work with Windows, I get homicidal within minutes.

14. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Cause at night the apple logo lights up....

I'm joking! I bought mine cause I saw the built quality and in 2010 many laptops were badly made! Also OSX is the perfect system for daily use, windows crashes a lot!

If you need windows it's easy to install and of windows starts to mess up which usually it does, you just click 2 buttons and delete the drive and you can reinstall again without having to copy your files back!

They mostly silent all the time, browsing the web, typing and so on! They get a bit hot when you play games or run CPU intensive apps!

15. lionkin, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

Once I bought mac I never go back to windows. User experience was one of my reason, and for school or research. :)

16. chabig macrumors 68040

In terms of stability and security Microsoft has made great improvements. But not it terms of usability. I could come up with a long list of Windows UI annoyances. Here are some of my top peeves:

1. Can't rename a file while open
    2. Can't move a file while open
    3. Moving a file breaks all shortcuts to that file
    4. Can't scroll a window without bringing it forward
    5. There is nothing like Exposé or Mission Control
    6. Text renders horribly and the entire visual experience isn't very refined
    7. The overall system and MS apps are extraordinarily modal
    8. All actions seem to require inordinate amounts of clicking because drag and drop isn't supported very well
    9. The registry!
    10. Windows inside windows!
    11. Native pdf printing not supported
    12. Documents don't always print like they appear on screen
    13. Printing dialogs are extraordinarily clumsy
    14. No Quicklook
    15. Drive letters
    16. Scrolling isn't smooth

It's little stuff, but it adds up to frustration for me.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like OS X better then windows, I also think Apple makes excellent products and I love their design.

18. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

To me the question was not 'why use a mac', but rather 'why not'.

A couple of years ago I was trying to make a decision between an HP EliteBook and a Lenovo W530. My only real requirement was a high-res 15" IPS screen, and both HP and Lenovo had a suitable config available at around 2200€. At some point I decided to check what Apple had to offer, and noticed that the (then brand new) mid-2012 rMBP was available with an almost identical config as the HP and Lenovo, but came in a much slimmer and lighter package, with much better battery life, and a higher screen resolution. And even better: at the same price.

Most of the software I needed was already available for OS X, so I figured, why the heck not.

Needless to say, I've been quite pleased with the choice.

19. GameFreak348 macrumors regular

there is no laptop that looks as good as a macbook. thats why

20. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

OSX > Windows. Also, I have the option to run Windows anyway if I need it.

That, and I love the hardware. Even if I purely wanted to run windows I would buy a Mac. In the All-in-one market especially, the iMac clearly has no equal in design AND performance. After buying a Macbook Pro(15" non retina first, then retina), there is no going back.

21. Damtoft macrumors member

Like most people in here i bought a mac because its Apple, and Apple is cool :cool:

22. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I just wanted something well made with good battery life. My MBP was a good price considering the CPU, battery life, and build quality. I'm fairly underwhelmed by it though and wouldn't buy one again. It has a good quality feel to it, a good CPU, and over 8 hours of battery life, which is all nice, but the drawbacks are starting to outweigh the benefits for me.

23. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Yup, OS X is a dream. :cool:

24. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

The alternative being Windows 8 its a no brainer.

25. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

MacBookPro5,2 17" glossy display

17" MacBookPro5,2 (2009). Mac management background since the early/mid 1990s.

My confidence in Apple's ability to produce the best software was irreparably damaged by the Yosemite experience (OS X 10.10).

My next Mac will run Mavericks (OS X 10.9.5), I expect the hardware to last until after I have migrated away from Apple; expect to use the good Apple hardware (Mac) with a non-Apple operating system; not a Microsoft product.