Just watched a hands on with the Gold iPhone 6 and I have to say

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loke2112, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Im really not impressed. In fact I can't stop shaking my head at the antenna lines (Especially on the gold model presented in the video) and the protruding camera that doesn't allow you to lay the phone flat on its back without it wiggling like a table that needs a pack of matchers to level it out. I know I'll get flamed for this but trust me when I say I'm an Apple fan but I just have to wonder if Steve would have ever allowed such design characteristics to ship. I plan on waiting for the 6S but sadly I don't think the above issues will be corrected.

2. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Jobs is dead.

Get over it.

Why do we need a thread about you watching a video?

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I don't think Jobs would have allowed it, but we have to move on. I know it would bother him to see that. He would hold up production for the tiniest detail.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Maybe he would have hated the antenna lines, but the touch also has a protruding camera.

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Yeah, you don't know that at all.

6. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

While I was initially turned off by the antenna lines, they have grown on me. The iPhone 4 had the antenna lines beautifully integrated, but they stopped working properly if you covered them with your hand. That was a classic case of form over function, and it caused them some issues. I'd much rather lose a little form for better function, which I think is what has happened here.

I do think the contrasting color of the lines is preferable to trying to duplicate the color of the antenna perfectly with the back of the case, because it would never quite match. Just my thoughts on that.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Steve Jobs shipped Mobile Me, Ping, iAd, and the iPhone 4 with he antenna placed on the outside band of the phone, a buttonless 3rd generation iPod shuffle to name a few.

So everyone needs to calm down with this "steve jobs wouldn't have allowed this", he was a great man but was also full of faults and flops.

8. PTLove macrumors 6502

The antenna lines allow reception. Im not sure what the options are. Go back to a glass back like the 4, go back to a large plastic bottom like the 2g/3g/3gs, or have the plastic lines. Its a mechanical issue. I think the thin lines look way better than the entire change of the top and bottom on the 5/5s

9. drogba macrumors member

Ugh, not another one of these. In 2 months time no one's going to even remember owning an iPhone that didn't have a protruding camera. It's seriously not that big of an issue, especially if you haven't played with it yourself. Is it really that big a problem that it'll teeter a little bit? Chances are people will have a case anyway so you'll never notice the difference.

10. 997.2 macrumors regular

please post the link

11. Ries macrumors 68000

Even Apple hates the camera lens, so they edited it out of pictures.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6209759/apple-has-an-embarassing-bulge

12. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Apple say when Steve Jobs died that they still had a pipeline several years old (into the future) of products he approved himself? And also, I love Steve, in fact there is a picture of him on my wall, but he wasn't perfect.

13. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

is there a bulge on the PLUS version as well ?

14. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

Oh well, Jobs also allowed for the iPhone 4 to be released with lines around the sides which you weren't allowed to touch unless you wanted your reception to drop down...

I'm not a fan of the antenna lines, but I don't really care all that much about them. It's not like I'm looking at the back of my phone all that often.

15. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Maybe there is a reason for the bulge like camera add-ons. Never know?

16. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

The reason is that the phone is thinner than the camera can be. So it has to protrude.

17. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I put a case on all my phones so... Problem solved!

Oh and how I hope the worst thing about the 6+ is the lines on the back.

18. Skittlebug macrumors member

I told my hubby this exact same thing. Steve Jobs would not have let it ship with the camera sticking out and those antenna lines. That being said, I still can't wait to get my hands on one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

20. macmann81 macrumors member

macmann81

The camera is on the opposite side of the valume buttons so you would not be able to see the camera from the angle the picture was take. If the picture was taken from the side the power button and sim card are on you would be able to see it.

21. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Before he died, it's been reported that Jobs told Cook something along the lines of "don't ask what would I do...ask what's best for Apple."

Curious that fanboys won't do the same.

Jobs barely knew of Siri...which debuted 3 years ago. And Cook said the Apple Watch started development after Job died. I think we're probably past the product pipeline that he left.

22. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

23. mantan macrumors 68000

I think that was a myth perpetuated by Apple to try to ensure stockholders/customers that things were 'in good hands.' As fast as the technology world innovates, there is no way they had 'years worth of products in the pipeline.' Maybe a few conceptual ideas (bigger iPhone, a watch, trying to figure out how to break into TV, continual thinner/faster), but not a 'pipeline of products'.

24. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Thank you apple for putting a bulge in my pants with those Jennifer lawrence pics

25. 997.2 macrumors regular

lolol. best comment here, thanx for the laugh