Just What Does Applecare Cover?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleGuy1980, Jun 22, 2008.

1. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

I have an unfortunate tendency to drop my laptop rather frequently as I'm something of a klutz. This is unofrtunately what finished off my iBook (cracked screen from a nasty fall). If I buy Applecare does it cover damage from accidentally dropping my computer, or just from manufacturer defects, etc.?

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it only covers defects not accidental damage.

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

No, your laptop top wont be covered if you drop it. AppleCare is an extension of the manufacturer's warrantee.

The only way your laptop would be covered is if you purchased it through your credit card or via a reseller e.g Best Buys and took out an additional policy through them.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Apple does not cover user caused damage or cosmetic damage. So, you'll be left on your own there.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You might have better luck with a standard Best Buy warranty. Best Buy doesn't look at things as closely as Apple does. For example, my sister bought a Nano, a week later it wouldn't turn on, went to the store showed it to the customer service people, they said, "go pick another one off the shelf" Didn't even bother plugging it in. Also people have been known to cause water damage to iPod's purposely, because Best Buy replaced them with a store credit (which they would then purchase the next generation iPod's). I don't promote this fraud, nor engaged in it, I imagine they have now started checking for water damage, but Apple looks at things really closely and sometimes doesn't replace things that are just normal wear and tear (like power adaptors). Also you still get your one year of Apple Care so if you don't like the Best Buy warranty you have that and you could always extend it. iThink that the Best Buy warranty is cheaper.

6. Bigsam411 macrumors member

That was there replacement plan. They dont check as closely on those because they do not have to send it out to a service center. For the Performance service plan, Laptops are covered against accidents if you choose that plan. Its around 100 more for the best buy service plan but you get accidents. Keep in mind the service center people can be idiots at times. I work there and when I had to order a new power adapter for my MBP I called up the part search number and gave them all my info and they sent me a 60w MB adapter.