Just what the world needs -- another social networking site

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macDonalds, May 25, 2009.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Ning I just read about it from the CNN homepage.

When is this freaking bubble going to burst!?!

I'm going to be a hypocrite here because I'm part of this Internet age where I'd rather type than talk, but for the love of chocolate ice cream - we need to go out and socialize! We need to stop hiding behind our computers with these social networking sites. All of our "friends" are going to be virtual! All of our "friends" are going to be videos, pictures and text on a screen!

Stop the madness! Put your computer to sleep right now and pick up the phone and dial a friend!

2. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I dislike social networking sites, actually. I have no accounts with any of them.

3. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

I broke down and joined Facebook. I use it to fill my voyeuristic craving. However, I never broadcast anything. I have like two pictures up of me. I don't want the world to know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it but apparently that gives great satisfaction to others.

4. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Facebook is the only worthwhile site. It's so popular, and it actually works and has a clean UI, unlike some others (MySpace).

I have 600 Facebook friends and 45 MySpace friends. ;)

5. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

My friends pressure me on a rather frequent basis to join Facebook.

I refuse to submit to the evil empire though. :D

6. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

you just use what your mates use. I cant see pictures from the last party if im on myspace. facebook is the way to go. I can connect with my family in australia as well.

7. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I met my fiance in an "adult" chat room so I cannot say all social networking sites are bad but a lot are pretty F****D up, I remember I joined Myspace when you had to be 18 according to their TOS then the little teenybopper bastards started taking it over and ruined it. The most disgusting thing to me was browsing through profiles and seeing some dumb ass 14 year old using "swinger" as their marital status when it was more likely that the pimple faced gangsta wannabes hadn't even gotten laid for the first time.

8. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe we need to build an anti-social network? I wonder how that would work though...?

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i use facebook as well. but this ning, is where you make your own social networking site

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I dislike them also.

11. Dany M macrumors 6502

So do I!

We should create a social networking site for poeple who hate social networking sites! :cool:

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Facebook is the only one that I can be almost sure to see anyone I've met in real life on. The others waste my time as I'm not on there to meet new people...

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/5H11)

Instead of a friends list, there would be a "people I'm ignoring" list. ;)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

next wave of facebook and myspace features......to have an integrated dating system!

watch, it will happen

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am not a member of any Social Networking websites, but what happened to MySpace? Just yesterday it seemed like all the rage and companies offering billions to buy them out?

Just curious. This is one aspect of technology that I am ignorant with.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

myspace and facebook are alot like yahoo and google

myspace and yahoo started off strong and then the newcomers fb and google overtook them and are basically the go to social network site

17. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Facebook is to MySpace what OS X is to Windows.

Cleanly designed and easier to use.

All other "social networking" sites are just distributions of Linux that nobody uses. ;)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I rather like Facebook, got a bunch of family, loads of old school friends and only a few random internutters on it.

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Yah all the emo kids would still join up, because that's the trendy thing for them to do.

20. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Facebook for everyone who is someone, MySpace for peeps who think they's all dat (and pre-adolescent girls who are Jonas nuts & teens guys 'in a band')... but who needs another?

Twitter is as far as I go with that type of thing. No FB. No MS. I can see there attraction for some, but the world doesn't need another. Not at all.

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I liked Facebook until I realized all my friends status updates were related to those stupid apps and quizzes. Twitter all the way. :cool:

22. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I like your style. Thumbs up. :D

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

:D I like Twitter because I don't think it has the potential to get easily ruined like MySpace and Facebook...

24. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Good idea, we shall call it "forums.rantalot.com" (remind you of a certain link ;))

I like facebook, nothing else.