Just when I thought I had a flawless phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by divergirl, Oct 22, 2015.

1. divergirl macrumors regular

Just when I thought I had a flawless phone, I discover but one DAY before the end of my return window that my rear facing camera has a round dark shadow on the right when I take pictures and video. It's definitely not my screen, as when I rotate the video the splotch rotates right along with it. I cleaned the camera lens and took it out of the case but that did not resolve the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntoeav1a42p86tr/dark-spot.mov

Looks like I'm going to be rushing to the store tomorrow to try to get an exchange :(

2. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

You don't have to rush. That would be covered under warranty anyway. Your okay.

3. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Even if that is the case then it is covered under the one year warranty and they should replace it anyways.

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple is very good about allowing some latitude especially with a situation as described. I would certainly expect that you'll be taken care of.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If the mark moves with rotation then it's a software issue. If it's a fixed point then it's hardware.

6. divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

It's definitely a fixed point. In my original post I meant that once I had already taken the video, if I rotated the screen the smudge rotated along with it, telling me it wasn't a defect in my screen itself. But when I have the rear camera open and I rotate the screen, the smudge stays in the exact same position.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ah that's clearer

8. cababah macrumors 68000

Lesson learned - There is no "flawless" iPhone

9. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

It seems to me that Apple is including the customer in the quality control process this year by selling a lot of phones with reparable defects. I went a little crazy returning and buying a new phone; one with a dead pixel, one with a bad home button, and one with an uneven backlight. To be honest, you'll get your best service by just asking them to fix it even if you were in the return window.

10. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

Too bad u will get a Samsung chip in your replacement

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

12. divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have a Samsung chip in my phone right now. I checked out of curiosity but it wasn't one of the things that was terribly important to me. I was more pleased that I had a perfect screen and how smoothly everything ran :)

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's been like that for years. As with many mass produced products there will be some with some defects.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They charge an awful lot of money for what must be one of the most mass-produced and defect-ridden premium products in the world though. How many people have screen issues? Practically everyone. I do.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Practically everyone? I would bet practically everyone that are part of the typical users, who represent the majority of users, don't know about any of these issues and use their devices just fine. Look at TVs, computers, cars, etc. plenty of people have issues with them here and there, while the majority don't or have the more or less typical minor things that are there with most mass produced products that they don't care about since it's just the nature of it all.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Bad screens must be something that even the most laidback person would spot. I've not seen this many people mentioning screen faults before.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Here it's been going on forever. In the "real world" with typical users, it's been about the same as it's always been--mostly non-existent in general.

18. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

As if this really matters anyway. :rolleyes:

19. chabig macrumors 68040

I have never seen a bad iPhone or iPad screen, despite what people say in these forums.

20. viperGTS macrumors 65816

And that doesn't mean they don't exist. They certainly do.

21. Mac2727 macrumors newbie

Had the same issue with an iPhone 5 once - it's dust under the lens. They replaced the phone without issue under warranty.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Mine has at least 20 bits of dust under it. Going to Apple tomorrow morning

23. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Just noticed I had a dead pixel right on the battery icon, very noticeable. Also the headphone jack is very loose. Went to apple and exchanged for another one. Loving the new one so far. I can't say it's flawless, but happy with the exchange. They had the Sim Free 6S Plus 128 GB available (they had lots of them, must have received shipment today).

24. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

That's nonsense on so many levels

25. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

They also don't manufacture the screens. Give credit where credit is due. They can't QC each and every device, but if they notice a trend they can certainly figure where the issue lies.