Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I keep upgrade to the 13 pro max or keep my 11 pro max in service?

• Upgrade to the 13PM

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Wait for the 14PM

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters

dantracht

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Sorry for lacking any originality on this.

I am actually back and forth on this and was looking for opinions from you wonderful people!

My "dilemma" is this"

• I can trade my 11PM, my now longest-serving, issue-free iPhone (upgraded every year until last year when.....meh I didn't feel compelled to upgrade) for a 13PM and was looking to do so this weekend for a blue one.
  • Supply chain issues mean I wouldn't get what I wanted (256 or a 512) for another month at least. That means close to December.
This brings up the age-old question:

Since it's already December, should I just wait for the 14PM at this point?

There's nothing wrong at all with my 11PM, I'm just wanting to upgrade for the new camera features. Use my phone a lot for filming and photography for marketing at one of my gigs.

What do you all think? I usually do the att next so I could easily get the 13PM and trade up to the 14PM by the end of '22.

Thanks in advance folks!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Depending on where you live. If you leave near an Apple Store, you could check Apple.com and keep checking for in-store pick up. Apple Store receives shipment on a daily basis and continues to update their inventory on a regular basis. Chances are that if you do check almost daily, you may end up finding one that you wanted for in-store pick up.

I’ve noticed it’s mainly Sierra Blue Pro maxes (1 TB and 512 GB and 256 GB) are always the ones that seems to pop up for in-store in my area. I’ve seen maybe few Graphites, some Gold, not a lot of silver.

Good Luck

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Sorry for lacking any originality on this.

I am actually back and forth on this and was looking for opinions from you wonderful people!

My "dilemma" is this"

• I can trade my 11PM, my now longest-serving, issue-free iPhone (upgraded every year until last year when.....meh I didn't feel compelled to upgrade) for a 13PM and was looking to do so this weekend for a blue one.
  • Supply chain issues mean I wouldn't get what I wanted (256 or a 512) for another month at least. That means close to December.
This brings up the age-old question:

Since it's already December, should I just wait for the 14PM at this point?

There's nothing wrong at all with my 11PM, I'm just wanting to upgrade for the new camera features. Use my phone a lot for filming and photography for marketing at one of my gigs.

What do you all think? I usually do the att next so I could easily get the 13PM and trade up to the 14PM by the end of '22.

Thanks in advance folks!
Maybe ?

Reactions: SamRyouji

dantracht

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Depending on where you live. If you leave near an Apple Store, you could check Apple.com and keep checking for in-store pick up. Apple Store receives shipment on a daily basis and continues to update their inventory on a regular basis. Chances are that if you do check almost daily, you may end up finding one that you wanted for in-store pick up.

I’ve noticed it’s mainly Sierra Blue Pro maxes (1 TB and 512 GB and 256 GB) are always the ones that seems to pop up for in-store in my area. I’ve seen maybe few Graphites, some Gold, not a lot of silver.

Good Luck
Thanks. Only options I am seeing so far for local pickup are a 1tb, and I don't need that much space.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t care about the timelines as much. If the next device is 3-4 months away, maybe, but in all other circumstances I get the tools I want when I need them - especially if I keep them for more than a year.

Reactions: Bethanie21

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
i came from a 11 PM to the 13 PM .. don’t forget, you’re also getting 6 gig of ram and the qualcomm modem.. both great quality of life changes over 4 and the intel

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
May as well wait. You’ll notice macro mode. But camera features if that’s your thing is more iPhone 14 when apple goes megapixels like the others.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
i came from a 11 PM to the 13 PM .. don’t forget, you’re also getting 6 gig of ram and the qualcomm modem.. both great quality of life changes over 4 and the intel

How does the extra RAM change the quality of life?

Reactions: tis

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
How does the extra RAM change the quality of life?
For the convenience, of course. More RAM means lots of tab don't have to be reloaded and more apps don't have to restart if they kept in the background for long.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
For the convenience, of course. More RAM means lots of tab don't have to be reloaded and more apps don't have to restart if they kept in the background for long.

Yup, that’s a theoretical advantage if your use case on a phone is to have that many tabs open or if you’re constantly running many apps. In real life on my end, coming from an 8+, everything my 12PM does is just a tad quicker and not really life changing in the slightest. Hardly noticeable to be honest.

Reactions: tis and SamRyouji

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Best time to buy a new iPhone is after January anyway. Why?
Some of the most glaring bugs in the new iOS will be squashed and there will have been 4 months at the factory in China to iron out any outstanding manufacturing issues.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
many times on my 11 pro max i would have safari open and i would open instagram or something , then switch back to safari and lose my spot completely .. mind you they were the only 2 apps open. i no longer have that issue with 13 PM

Reactions: dantracht

dantracht

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Update: actually starting to lean more towards either keeping my 11pm and waiting for the 14 or actually getting the pro instead. The extra battery life isn’t an issue since I’m never away from a charger for too long, and it seems like the camera features are the same this year.

Then again I keep reading these posts about the 13pm not taking good low light images, and over processing images that are taken close up as in the forum above and even a YouTube video from max tech or whatever his name is. If I have to rent on third party apps, might as well use those apps on what I have.

Honestly conflicted. Which means perhaps I should just hold onto my still quite good 11pm.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
If you‘re unsure then don‘t spend the money. These phones have become very expensive, but they‘re also durable enough to be kept for many years. If you‘re replacing the battery at some point, you could probably hold on to the 11 Pro for 5 years without any major issues.

I bought the 13 Pro and while it‘s a super nice upgrade from the X, it wouldn‘t have been necessary at all. To me it was worth it for the camera improvements and all the little upgrades that added up over the years, but honestly, I could‘ve used the X a couple more years. With an 11 I probably wouldn‘t have even considered it.

Reactions: dantracht

dantracht

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
If you‘re unsure then don‘t spend the money. These phones have become very expensive, but they‘re also durable enough to be kept for many years. If you‘re replacing the battery at some point, you could probably hold on to the 11 Pro for 5 years without any major issues.

I bought the 13 Pro and while it‘s a super nice upgrade from the X, it wouldn‘t have been necessary at all. To me it was worth it for the camera improvements and all the little upgrades that added up over the years, but honestly, I could‘ve used the X a couple more years. With an 11 I probably wouldn‘t have even considered it.
Yeah, I think I'm going to just hang onto my 11PM and upgrade to the 14PM in the fall. From what I'm reading about issues with precisely the types of images I take with my phone on the 13PM, and early rumors about still further camera improvements, I think I'll just treat myself to another year of Halide, a new case for the 11PM, and call it a day.

Edit: especially since, upon checking again, I wouldn't receive the one I want until at LEAST 11/23, and the window is 11/23-12/1. At that point, might as well wait.

Besides, when I get my M1Max MBP in a few weeks, I'll be too busy with that any way to even notice a phone!

Thanks all, really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.