Just "won" this on Ebay....How do I keep this transaction safe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cloud9, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Hi,

I just "won" this on ebay. I have until tomorrow to pay and I wanted advice on how to keep this transaction safe for me. I have a paypal account linked to a bank account, but the account is empty. I was going to pay with my debit card, but perhaps there is a better way. Seller wants payment with in 24 hours. I just want to make sure I am protected. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290324383145

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

First of all, congrats on your purchase.

The seller has a good rating which will help you a lot. I would use your credit card, because you can dispute the charge with the credit card company if there is a problem. eBay's policy, if I remember correctly, is that the seller must ship the item within 7 days. If they haven't shipped it by then, you can claim a problem, and eBay will then investigate. If you did everything right and he is in the wrong, they can refund your purchase.

Have faith, eBay transactions rarely go wrong.

Here's a good article for you: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/protection-programs.html

3. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont have a credit card I can use. Just my debit card.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Then just use your debit card, or put money in that bank account, either way your fine. Also just to let you know, per eBay's policy you have 7 days to pay. And congrats on your purchase I have no doubt that will be an awesome machine!

5. thecheda macrumors 6502

Reputation.

You will be fine. Seller's reputation is through the roof.

6. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I think I will use my debit card because I need the machine by next thursday and I dont have time to wait for the funds to reach paypal. The purchase seemed a little too good and so it made me nervous.

He has good feedback, but none as a seller.

7. thecheda macrumors 6502

Do what he suggests.

Do not pay through bank draft (through the paypal account). Takes the bank 3-5 business days to clear. Debit is immediate I believe...

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Use a credit card. Seems fishy to me.

Also the guys feedback isn't that recent. He had one feedback in February, then nothing for the past 2 years.

Be a little weary please and use a credit card. Paypal can be a pain to deal with, just stick to going through the credit card company.

I hope this isn't a scam.

9. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont have a credit card, only a debit card. Do I have any other way to protect myself? Seller responded back to me saying he was selling it for personal reasons and was better off ebaying the item then returning to apple.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Well investigate your fraud purchase protection with your debit card company before sending it. Just find out the terms and conditions.

I am sure you are covered, but you may have to live without the money while it is sorted out.

Odd that he hasn't done anything in nearly 3 years then he has a 4500 dollar laptop to sell.

Its a gamble, but it may not be that much of a gamble depending on your debit card protection.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You don't know anyone in the secret service, do you?

12. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

No, because they are keeping it a secret from me.

13. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Do note that every single feedback received was done so as a buyer - this is apparently the first item he's ever sold. (Not to mention in the last 2 years, he has only received one single feedback)

Paypal can be a tough one to deal with, as in my experience, they can only get back money if it's still in his Paypal account. If there is a problem, absolutely file a claim ASAP, and it must be filed within 45 days. (I buy and sell a lot of music online, and that has just been my dealings with Paypal. On a purchase this large, Paypal's protection might be different than the amounts I usually deal with) (Also, the way they give you back your money can be pretty stupid. I once bought from a defunct seller, the total was $20, so after fees, the seller got like $18. When I filed a claim, rather than realizing the seller was defunct, they only gave me back the $18, as it was all that's in his account. You'd think they'd see the situation, reverse the fees, and give me all of my money back.)

Personally, I believe that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is. He has no reason for not actually returning the machine. I can't think of a single reason he's better off selling it than returning it.

Hope my post helped. I hope it isn't a scam, but I'm pretty skeptical about it.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Braintree MA, throw me a PM with the sellers name and I will ask my friends if they know them. Grew up in that area so I am sure someone knows them

15. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked the guy to send me pictures of the item in its box before I post payment, and that I was going to check with my debit card to see if there are protections and that if there were not I needed him to wait so I can transfer the funds to paypal.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

17. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Have not paid yet. Won it 4 hours ago. I wanted to wait to see what the sunlight brought before I threw my money away.

18. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Is your card not linked to your Paypal account? I never transfer the money to my Paypal account, when I make a purchase it just automatically takes the money out of my checking account.

19. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

BTW You all are super rad for giving me advice with this, if you dont know it, Thank you!

20. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have paypal linked to my checking account. Is that the same as paying through pay pal and being "protected"?

21. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

As long as the money goes through Paypal, I'm 99.9% sure it's protected by Paypal. (Again, I never transfer money into my Paypal account, and I've won every claim I've ever submitted. Of course, at times I have a balance due to sales, though it's not often.)

22. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

i'll double check...but I think that will make me feel better on this.

23. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Paypal protection is something, but I wouldn't solely rely on it.

I would trust Visa a million times more. There are many stories on people being screwed by Paypal after using their protection.

No parents with a credit card or friends?

24. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

No credit cards going on with this. I will call my bank tomorrow and see what they recommend.

25. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Yeah, after looking over the auction, I'd see if perhaps your parents/someone close have a card you could use, and give them the money.

The bottom of the auction page states: