Just Wonderin' 'bout MS Office 4 Mac 2011 user observations...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blowabs, Aug 12, 2011.

1. blowabs, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

blowabs macrumors member

on the new MBA................anyone experience those problems with '11, listed on Amazon??? Crashin'!!!
    The updates for Lion are supposed to be great ...........when they get out??? Don't know if i should get 2010 instead...???
    thx

2. sparkhill macrumors regular

You need to be more specific as I have no interest in reading the Amazon reviews but I will tell you there are all sorts of issues resulting in frequent crashes. I primarily use Outlook, Excel and Word; all three crash hard frequently if you are trying to do anything beyond the very basics. The Outlook datafile corrupts very easily, if large. The list goes on so much that I am converting to OS X Mail and avoiding the others as much as possible. The only problem is the functionality of Excel is unmatched.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am running snow leopard. besides a quirk with East Asian language settings (a workaround is posted on Microsoft's site), i have never had any problems with word. in fact, it runs perfectly. so does excel. i don't use outlook on the mac.

4. blowabs thread starter macrumors member

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Office 2011 for Mac is quite a nice package if you need. Word and Excel are still the gold standard in terms of catalog of features, though iWork (Pages, Numbers) are easier to use if you're keeping simple and don't need to share files with non-Mac users. Keynote from iWork is leaps and bounds above PowerPoint but of course doesn't run on Windows.

I've got Office 2011 installed on my Macs and so far haven't had any Lion-related problems. Microsoft's Mac software unit has stated that Lion-specific features like Versions were coming but not to expect them until later in the year.

Bottom line is Office 2011 for the Mac will run on Lion.

Not sure what you mean regarding "2010" though. Office 2010 is for Windows. Office 2008 was the previous Mac version. I do not recommend it as (a) I suspect only 2011 will be officially supported on current/future OS X updates, and (b) 2011 in my opinion is better all around.

6. blowabs thread starter macrumors member

Xray...thx.
    I will not give on it....crashes is what i was hoping to climate in Word.:mad:

7. sparkhill macrumors regular

Depending on what you do, you may or may not have issues. Personally, I have more frequent Office crashes under Lion compared to Snow Leopard. It is still very usable but quite annoying.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

I have one machine on Lion and that's the newly released Air. I chose not to upgrade to 2011. Microsoft didn't offer a reduced price for upgrading, only buying it at full retail. I am giving Numbers, Pages, and Mail a workout as a result and so far, so good.