Just Wondering - iPod Touch vs. Clamshell iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by crazyrog17, Aug 5, 2010.

1. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I understand they're totally different processors and hardware in general, but how does a current iPod Touch compare to my ten year old Clamshell iBook G3?

I mean, it shouldn't be hard to beat the 366MHz or 8MB of SDRAM for VRAM... I mean, PC100 memory! WHOAH!

So, I'm just wondering if an iPod Touch beats my Clamshell, by any means.

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

3. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Haha yes, I think an iPod touch would be

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Your iPod Touch doesn't run OS-X so it's kinda hard to compare..... :D but yeah, most smart phones today are faster than any 10 year old computer lol.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sure its faster, but what are you going to be using it for?

6. drewdle macrumors regular

I own both devices, so I'll give you the skinny.

I don't like the Touch. I'm not sure what it is, but the more I use it, the more I see it as a step backwards from what a full laptop can do. Granted, that's not what it's meant for, but all the same, why carry two full-blown computers when one is all you need? I've been pairing the iBook with either my first or third generation Nano, and it's been a pretty good on-the-go setup.

It depends on what you want to do with the machine. I'm still of the opinion that if I'm going to take a computer with me, it needs to be able to be an email reader, web browser, word processor, iPod, instant messenger, photo repository, and a bed for running applications. Some of these things are difficult nigh impossible on the Touch, and even on an iPad.

That being said, if you want acceptable battery life or access to online video, the Touch is a much smaller, cheaper option than upgrading a 10 year old laptop. I've loaded my Clamshell to the gills (and it will be getting a new high-cap battery for school), but I've done so because I'm willing to live with it's limitations because I love it's aesthetic and it does all I need.

In a nutshell, yes, a Touch is more powerful. I think the jury is still out on "more usable", however.

7. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

of course the touch is faster but in in terms of features my mac plus smokes the ipod touch:D

8. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Yeah it really depends what you will be using it for....

The iPod touch will be much better for games and Youtube and even internet.

But the iBook Clamshell will be a whole lot better if you are doing schoolwork or pretty much anything else.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Don't expect to be able to type documents on the iPod touch by the way :D

Oh, and if you choose the iBook, I reckon you should take a look at this forum for info all about the iBook, what you can do on it etc...: http://classicmac.freeforums.org/index.php

Good luck!

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not if your going to be using it as a serious computer ;)

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Even in graphite, the clamshell iBooks can't really be considered "serious" computers either. :D

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well the main thing that makes them more serious than iPod touch's is the fact that you can type on them, opening up a lot of stuff! :p

13. crazyrog17 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I've done everything shy of overclocking the thing. Max RAM, upgraded HDD, new battery and put in a 1024x768 screen from an iBook G4.

When I use it, I desperately miss my multitouch trackpad. Even if it just had multitouch scrolling!

I have SideTrack for scrolling and all, but it's far from perfect.

Anywho, I think it'd be awesome if someone made a replacement logic board with cheap guts of even a netbook that I could hackintosh.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Or you could just buy a decent PC laptop or netbook and hackintosh it. But you still won't have multitouch scrolling :(

15. molala macrumors 6502a

nice to hear of a clamshell iBook still being used! if I collected Macs, that would be on the list.