Just Wondering

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GhostDZ9, Sep 13, 2010.

1. GhostDZ9 macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    :confused:
    I have the Aluminium 13.3" unibody macbook, and lately ive noticed that the fans are running at a higher rpm then they normally would

I have added 4 GB of ram to it and a WD 500 GB 7200 RPM to it, anyway any of these upgrades would effect the rotation speed of the fan,

Also any Ideas what each fan in my macbook is supposed to be running at, there is only one fan running at approximately 1200 RPM's

Regards,

Ghost

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The idle speed of the one fan in the 13" MBP is 2000RPM unless you used a fan control software to even lower that.

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

Btw, what are the temperatures in your MB? CPU, RAM, HDD, ...?

Maybe this can help too, to reset the fan speed to normal speed:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7200rpm hard drive may add heat so it might be the cause. 1200rpm sounds pretty normal though

4. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok ill give what you said a shot, as for the ram im not sure what the make is but i got it off of ebay from a power seller who said it works 100% with my model, however for the fan rpm only 1 fan has it hat 1200 rpm the 2nd fan has rpm of -1 any ideas what that means?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is no second fan inside the MacBook, thus the "-1". The fan speed of 1200RPM does sound low, but if you have used fan control software to manually adjust the speed of the single fan that that MacBook has, an SMC reset might help.

6. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

So the SMC reset will reset it back to the default fan speed?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

8. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

alright well I just have to wait till i get my laptop back from repairs before i can test any of these out

9. altecXP macrumors 65816

Also take off the bottom and blow out any dust.

10. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah ill definately do then when I get my laptop back :)