Just wondering

Discussion in 'iMac' started by teqmter, Nov 25, 2015.

1. teqmter macrumors newbie

teqmter

I have a 27" Mac and El Capitan. The only thing I liked about a windows OP is when I hovered the mouse over a folder it shows whats inside the folder. Is there a way to do this with my Mac or a app? Also there isn't anything I don't like about my MAC. thanks teqmter

2. kmpowell, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

kmpowell macrumors member

EDITED: Title spelling has now been corrected

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OS X doesn't do it, but I'm unaware of any apps that offer this functionality.

4. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

You are talking about the Windows Explorer behavior whereby IF it's in icon view (not detail view) and you hover your mouse over a folder it will textually display the folder size and the first two or three filenames.

Finder doesn't do exactly that but it does something which IMO is better -- it has column view so just clicking the folder will show *everything* inside (not just 2-3 items) without jumping into the folder.

Besides this you can configure Finder to show all sizes of all folders in list view, as described in this article: http://dailymactips.com/display-the-size-of-all-your-folders-in-the-mac-finder-window/

You can similarly have Finder show the number of items in a folder in icon view, plus additional type-specific info like length of a video file. The procedure is similar to the above article: in Finder icon view, right-click on a blank space and select "show view options", the select the "show item info" button. If you always want that click the "Use as defaults" button.