Just would like to check RAM config

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Mar 30, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I have a new 2008 MP and just wanted to check if I just have 2 sticks of 2gb RAM, one would go on the first slot of riser one and another in slot 1 of riser two right??

Cheers

2. -=Pingus=- macrumors newbie

No

If you have 2 ram sticks they have to be paired.
    this means that you have to place the two sticks on Riser 1 in slot 1 and 2.
    If you get 2 ( for a total of four sticks ) more ram sticks then you put them on Riser 2 in slot 1 and 2.
    here is a link to the manual at apple: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_MemoryDIMM_DIY.pdf

3. bigbird macrumors 6502

What happened to your original 2 X 1GB Apple sticks? I would assume that if you're pulling out the original Apple RAM and only installing 2 X 2GB sticks of replacement RAM, then they would go in the same configuration as the original Apple RAM, and that would be just how you suggested, which is Risers A & B, slot 1.

4. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Yes, what happened to original RAM?
    Here's what you need to do, depending on what you had originally:

came with 1GB (2 x 512MB)
    Riser A: slot1/2GB, slot2/2GB
    Riser B: slot1/512MB, slot2/512MB

came with 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Riser B: slot1/1GB, slot2/1GB

only have the 2 x 2GB?

savvy?

5. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh got ya. I just have 2x2gb sticks I brought from OWC I am selling my 2 original 1gb sticks HERE if anyone is interested (ends in 2 hours or so) and 4gb is fine for me ;)

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

On early 2008 Mac Pros, if you only have one pair of memory sticks, you should have one stick in slot 1 of riser A and one stick in slot 1 of riser B.

7. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats what I thought :)

8. Roy macrumors 6502

Right on. The 2006 Mac Pro and the 2008 Mac Pro come with the standard ram configured differently. Since his question is about the 2008 Mac Pro, then if he is swapping out 2 one GB modules, then he would replace them (2 two BG modules) back in the same fashion as you stated above.

9. G4DP macrumors 65816

Your a fool to sell the original Apple RAM, if you have any future problems, Apple will tell you to go away. I've never understood why people sell the original RAM, just keep it in a box.

Hope for your sake you don't have any future problems cause Apple sure as hell won't fix it for you.

10. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Yep, my mistake for not seeing he's got a new Mac Pro. Everyone has new Mac Pros. So few of us old school Mac Pro users left....sigh.
    Incidentally, it's in the Early '08 Mac Pro Manual on Apple's website.

11. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Course they will why would they refuse to fix a problem because I have replaced the RAM thats what your supposed to do with the machine, otherwise they wouldn't let you get inside the box.:rolleyes:

12. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

I agree. It's not like he's replacing the CPU or the North Bridge. He's upgrading the upgradable parts of the "upgradable Mac." (Don't get me started on this oxymoron. :rolleyes: )