Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
csubear said:
is that on a 15" AL ? i'm sitting here on a 12" AL 1.33 getting 3 -3:30 on a full charge with screen 100%, airport bluetooth on, and processor on auto.

yes, and if you take a look at apple specs, the 15" and 12" have equal battery in watt-hours (50), so it's just plain logical that the 15" model consuming more power will operate less time than the 12" model.

i think the bigger screen takes a lot more power than the 12". that's why they have put bigger (16%) battery into the 17" model.

kirk26 said:
Where do you get one of those special edition iBooks with more than an hour battery life? I've never seen an iBook get more than an hour of battery life. It's been a know issue that the battery life of iBooks is bad. Get the Powerbook my son!

Thats the funniest thing I've heared today! My iBook has not been plugged in for 3 hours 30 minutes since I got to work and I've still got quater of a tank left... about an hour or two I think....

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
i think that an ibook with an hours battery life would be pretty funny, you dont seriously think that any self respected company would get away with selling a laptop that had 1 hours battery life!??

maybe kirk26 had only seen first generation ibooks, with a battery that was 3 years old. or maybe it the ones he saw had some special anti energy saving or energy wasting mode? i would have thought that if this was a "known issue" then there would never be any of those "ibook vs powerbook" threads we all love so much!

its funny what people say sometimes! :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Godfather said:
yes, there are less scratches after using a pb, it has more ports for all sorts of things, new ones have airport built in (extreme), it has better Vram and better capabilities for Ram, Harddisc can be bigger (and faster ;) ) and offcourse, the backlit :D

not many more ports

yes, AE is built in... TO THE PRICE! (so that's not a good comparison)

RAM capabilities are the same, 1GB

however, the metal case will hold heat, and make your laptop HOT, and will consequently kill your battery life. that's the key in the iBook, batterylife/heat. I can get 6 hours on my new iBook (AE off, BT off, no optical drive activity), and i can get 4 hours (AE on, BT on, iTunes running). The powerbooks cant touch that.

DJ Tony Psalms

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2004
Sun Valley, CA
iBook VS. PowerBook

For web-surfing, iTunes, and pictures, an iBook will serve you well! AND if you can do without a G4, eBay's got some GOOD deals for 900,800 MHz G3 iBooks! That'll save you alittle CA$H! Good Luck!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
ifjake said:
. i personally think that the only thing that PCs have better than Macs is gaming. web browsing, email, music, organizing photos, all the basic uses for a computer and then some extras like movie and music making totally kick butt on Mac. [/QUOTE/]

There is 2 more things that PC beat mac in. One is the most virus friendly interface. Two is to screw apple and copy the Mac OS system. I think Gates should patent the most friendly virus interface. :D

vwguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Silicon Valley
Rod Rod said:
to add to what LifeIsCheap said, because you live in Silicon Valley you'll really appreciate the iBook's superior wireless networking reception. you might have neighbors who've left their wireless network wide-open for public access (because they couldn't figure out how to both restrict access and make the net connection work). those neighbors might live 5 houses away, and you'll still see "linksys" and "default" show up in the list of available networks.

I do have a couple of wireless network 'visible' but all of them were pretty smart enough to setup WEP.... since they live and work in Silicon Valley too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.