Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
So as I said on my introduction post about two days ago, I'm waiting for my new Macbook to be delivered. :D

Funnily enough, I found out this morning while running a routine scan on my Windows system that I was infected with a trojan! It's the first time I've ever had a virus (or trojan) on one my my systems ever (and I've been using Windows for 11 years) and it just so happens to be after I've made the choice to switch to Mac...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
While that helps in justifying your purchase you should know that while your new computer isn't going to be AS prone to being infected as your windows machine is, it is not completely impossible for something to go wrong.
In other words, you should never be too comfortable.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
While that helps in justifying your purchase you should know that while your new computer isn't going to be AS prone to being infected as your windows machine is, it is not completely impossible for something to go wrong.

Just buy a couple external hard drives and use them for backup.
Virus is hard but it's triveal to write a trojan that will run on a Mac. just keep your stuff backed up

Wicker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Oh, definitely, I've always been very careful with what I do, I won't start slacking off now! :p

And yes, I'll be sure to back up. Hopefully Time Machine will make it a more pleasant experience

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.